March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (DaveB, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce, Ian Forrester, SKB), 791 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would open to something like LT Mod and Mod. IC and Mod works fine in most applications. I tend to like a slightly more tightly choked gun and I keep a few boxes of RST and Fiocchi spreader loads on hand. I have a Model 32 with IM and Full chokes I have used for skeet shooting Fiocchi #8.5 spreaders. Works great.

Jalo Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
I ask because I wondered if you would hunt capercaillie with this, and how that would affect your choices of chokes.

Hunting capercaillie means walking mile after mile. That's why I prefer a light gun. Furthermore my hunting is either with pointer or flusher so normally there are no long range shots. Capercaillie is very sneaky bird, running before the dog like a rooster pheasant and often trying to flush behind a tree. It's not easy to get one.

Originally Posted By: BrentD
You could optimize with steel for the common uses and then switch to Bi for just those few instances where you need something else. For years, I shot steel on everything except geese. I bought some Bi for just that purpose and a little goes a VERY long ways when it comes to geese for me. 20 shells lasted several years in my instance.

That's a great idea. By the way, I bet you get more shots on geese than I do on capercaillies.

Jalo Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: ninepointer
Jalo, congratulations on your Miroku 500. I've just acquired one in 20ga.

Likewise! Actually Miroku 500 in 20 gauge is the next gun in my wishlist. Would really like to have one. How long are the barrels of your gun? Is it a straight or pistol grip? What about it's weight?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Brits expended considerable ink and paper in search of the "optimal/perfect" gun. This is strange to me as they were, to my knowledge, first to put effort into making the stock fit the shooter; perfect fit. The arguments over what handling, feel, choke, barrel length, action type, point of aim vs point of impact, rib design, and several not worth mention, made "the optimal" gun. Aside from stock fit, there was scant consideration of physique, reflex speed, muscle speed, strength, and purpose.

I'd suggest you not worry about what makes perfect choke selection but, rather, what suits you. Shoot it as is for awhile before you make changes.

I'm shooting a Woodward BLE pigeon (only one Woodward made) after having it modified to my desires. Addition of a recoil pad took care of stock fit except I need more cast-off and will have that job done locally. The barrels were sleeved from 26" (30" OE) to 32", weight, teeter-totter balance, unmounted and mounted swing effort were to my specifications. Chokes were made mod right and full left so I could adjust them later. Loads for practice are 3/4 oz (21 gram - think 28 gauge). I am shooting it nearly as well as I'd expect for a true 28 gauge gun. I miss a few more skeet targets than with a open bore 12 gauge --- no big deal.

Shoot it awhile before cutting anything.

DDA

Jalo Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: LeatherWoodSteel
I would open to something like LT Mod and Mod.

That was my initial idea too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY- you like blonds? Think you might mean blondes? Hope so.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I often hunt waterfowl with bismuth loads in my 1928 era L.C. Smith 12 ga. 3" Longrange- choked full and full- back in the pre-1913 era, Hunter Arms catalogues mentioned that their 12 bore guns, regardless of grade or barrel length, were choked F&F as a factory std. Other chokings available at customer's request- Full and Full were advertised as being the "expert gunner's choice" in that pre-WW1 era.

A good friend and hunting pal has a 16 gauge M21 with two sets of 28" factory fitted barrels, one forearm accepts both barrels sets. One is choked cyl, and mod., the other imp. mod. and full. On a grouse and woodcock hunt some years ago, he had that gun with the tighter choked set of barrels and No. 8 7/8 ounce Federal Purple Paper loads- shot 5 grouse and 8 woodcock with 14 shells- all clean drop dead birds, he has never shot that well with that gun before, and you tell me, in the words of the late Elmer Keith-who loved tightly choked Ithacas- "You mean it kills them TOO dead?""-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would love to hunt capercaillies in Findland. I have only been there on e, but it was just like home, only different. smile

I am sure I shoot more at geese. The only thing that really limits me in that regard is freezer space.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jalo
Originally Posted By: ninepointer
Jalo, congratulations on your Miroku 500. I've just acquired one in 20ga.

Likewise! Actually Miroku 500 in 20 gauge is the next gun in my wishlist. Would really like to have one. How long are the barrels of your gun? Is it a straight or pistol grip? What about it's weight?

Charles Daly Miroku. Barrels are 26", choked IC/Mod. Pistol grip and beavertail forend. Weight is 6.5 lbs (2.95 kg) with the Pachmayr Old English pad I added yesterday for length. Never thought I'd own a beavertail gun, but...

Last edited by ninepointer; 04/11/20 08:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Parker D grade was M/F so I though I'd open up the Full a bit. Well, a brain fart latter the left barrel was a tight IC - .018, or close to LM. The right was actually .022, or a tight Mod. I might have to change a couple other guns to this because I'm really starting to like it. I think LM/IM would be some just about perfect chokes if I could only have one gun. Heaven forbid.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.