April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (eightbore, Jimmy W, rtw, Der Ami, Longknife, 1 invisible), 324 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,988
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#569341 04/09/20 12:01 PM
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm refinishing a couple of gun stocks and would like to get the deep red tinge that Alkanet produces however, I don't have the 6 months or so it takes to properly prepare it. I'm wondering if there is a substitute that is readily available? I thought of checking with some art supply stores but given the situation with Covid-19 stores in my area are shut down.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

You can certainly use a spirit stain such as Behelen's American Walnut.

If you used alkent powder instead of the shredded root you can use the oil the next day. It does get a bit darker over time but to be honest, 24 hours is all you really need with the powder.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

SKB,

I did put some walnut stain in the first layer I applied and wasn't happy with it. Not the right colour I'm looking for.

I'd be interested to try the alkent powder. Do you have a source for the powder?

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/alkanet-root-powder/profile

Looks like they closed down for a week but are set to open tomorrow.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. I see that both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca have the powder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid, here's a little trick I came up with using the powder. To keep the powder filtered from the oil I carefully emptied a couple of my wife's tea bags, filled them with powder and stapled them closed again. Drop into the oil and it'll color just as fast as dumping it in and when you're finished just lift the tea bags out and you don't need to filter the oil.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Tamid, here's a little trick I came up with using the powder. To keep the powder filtered from the oil I carefully emptied a couple of my wife's tea bags, filled them with powder and stapled them closed again. Drop into the oil and it'll color just as fast as dumping it in and when you're finished just lift the tea bags out and you don't need to filter the oil.

Great trick. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid,
It's 10:00 pm in California so it's late for you guys in the midwest and East. I can supply you with the name of a man that sells Alkanet root in solution. His information is not readily available but can get it for you in the morning. He sells it in a 4ox bottle and it's reasonable.
Carl

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a vendor on eBay who sells in small bottles as well, it was around ten bucks if I remember.

Coffee filters work for the powdered root and the shredded. The powdered does appear deeper in color than the shredded, a bit browner in tint than the shredded. Ernie, aka, Damascus, says it takes a full year to leech, but I have both in oil solution for the last several months and they do not to my untrained eye appear any deeper in color.

Good luck. Stay safe.
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am trying to understand why we use the Alkanet. Is it because of tradition or are the results different than using a spirit stain for example?

Mixing stains can adjust the color to match and I imagine alkanet root can vary in color depending on the grower or where it was grown.

Last edited by builder; 04/10/20 09:19 AM.

So many guns, so little time!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.