March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Two chokes, one for close and one for far. I think it's an advantage...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Theres quite a difference between what folks think is decoying, are the birds flying full speed and swing by to take a look, or feet down at twenty yards. Same with pass shooting. I still think pattern that modified barrel, with the steel shot of your choice, then I think youll have an idea what you thinkll work for you.

I would keep in mind that not all barrel work is just a choke measurement. You can show your gunsmith pictures of the pattern(s) and ask if he can get you where you want to go. From the get go, based on your gun, I figured you are thinking about using relatively small steel shot, and not necessarily the hottest loads. With more info here and there, you may not want to get into significant barrel smithing. Anyway, itll work out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like 1/4 and 3/4. Works very well.

Mike Proctor
Jalo Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: craigd
I still think pattern that modified barrel, with the steel shot of your choice, then I think youll have an idea what you thinkll work for you.

That's a great idea. Unfortunately the modified choke turned out to be an improved modified. I do not dare to fire steel through it.

Originally Posted By: craigd
From the get go, based on your gun, I figured you are thinking about using relatively small steel shot, and not necessarily the hottest loads.

You are right. No hot loads, it's only 12/70. As for the size, #2 is the biggest in my list, mostly it will be #4 or #2. Early season #5 also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Of course you could go to Bismuth and shoot whatever size shot you wanted...Geo

Jalo Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Jalo
Bismuth is not a reasonable option here in Europe right now and I believe it will never be.

If only it would be cheaper...

Last edited by Jalo; 04/09/20 04:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Where is here?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jalo Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Where is here?

I'm sorry, BrentD, you probably didn't notice that I already answered this question of yours. I'm in Finland. In general the prices in Europe are nowhere near to those that you have. Bismuth shots may cost even six times more than the corresponding steel shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I missed that. Sorry. I was watching on my phone and missed some details apparently.

I ask because I wondered if you would hunt capercaillie with this, and how that would affect your choices of chokes.

I pay about $160 for 10 lbs (~4 kilos) of Bi. I am sure it is more over there, but then most things are. While Bi is expensive, hunting ammunition is not all that big of a deal because I don't need that much of it, though I hunt nearly every weekend.

You could optimize with steel for the common uses and then switch to Bi for just those few instances where you need something else. For years, I shot steel on everything except geese. I bought some Bi for just that purpose and a little goes a VERY long ways when it comes to geese for me. 20 shells lasted several years in my instance.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jalo, congratulations on your Miroku 500. I've just acquired one in 20ga.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.