March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 287 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#569259 04/08/20 10:23 AM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Being "locked-down" for an extended period has an interesting effect on folks. I have cast about here for projects to pursue and have stayed fairly busy on everything from old car maintenance to yard and housework. When not otherwise busied, I'm researching different topics to see what I might have overlooked in my steady pursuit of the almighty dollar over the years.

Something that caught my eye recently is the reproduction industry for Civil War era weaponry. It is largely focused in Italy and it seems that they've been steadily been working away (for some time now) at re-creating the now-obscure handguns and rifles of that era. Their efforts have gotten to the point of producing very-good, functioning copies of the better firearm designs from that period. Since all the weapons then were black-powder, their efforts have gone largely unregulated by the government types, as such weapons are considered "non-firearms" for any legal purposes. These reproductions are of-course made with modern steels and manufacturing techniques and can, in reality, be very good firearms. In many ways, they are significant improvements in quality (w/far-stronger steels & much better tolerances) over the ancient Colts, Remingtons and Winchesters they were intended to copy. They are also largely dirt cheap(!). An industry blossomed just after the Civil War ended (and during the later 1870s and 1880s) that allowed for the use of the then newly-invented "metallic" cartridges by boring through the cylinders of the revolvers of that time and converting them to fire said cartridges. It would seem that such an industry still exists, even to this day (look up Taylor and Company sometime). If you've been raised on a steady diet of movies dated from that period, you're more-than familiar with the genre and may even have a passing interest in such things. No background check is necessary (a big plus in modern-day Colorado) and shipping can be done to your door (unless you live in the usually-suspect places, such as NYC, DC and LA).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/08/20 10:32 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If a muzzleloader is converted to metallic cartridge, particularly a chambering that has ammo generally available today, does that get into a manufacturing gray area? Ive been able to do a fair bit of range time and varmint shooting, and have the bonus of more time with one of my kids. Silver lining. It has been disappointing that I dont have access to some projects and tools due to circumstances, and as things blow over regular life will kick back in and free time will will probably get scarce again.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
If a muzzleloader is converted to metallic cartridge, particularly a chambering that has ammo generally available today, does that get into a manufacturing gray area? Ive been able to do a fair bit of range time and varmint shooting, and have the bonus of more time with one of my kids. Silver lining. It has been disappointing that I dont have access to some projects and tools due to circumstances, and as things blow over regular life will kick back in and free time will will probably get scarce again.

as far as Federal law is concerned, the ONLY factor that matters is when the receiver was made. If you convert a muzzleloader using a post 1898 action it becomes a firearm, pre-1898 actions no matter the chambering are antiques and not classified as firearms Federally. Some States such as New Jersey differ.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've found this forum to be very active and very helpful.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of my experience with the Alberto crowd stems from Some of them being convicted felons.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got "a thing" for muzzleloaders and have many reproductions. Many of them are indeed well made weapons.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've shot and made them for over 30 years, then about 15 years ago backed off a little. Sold the tee-pee and stopped doing over night rendezvous. Got into old SxSs - Remingtons, Parkers, and a Lefever or two. You'll want to buy the revolver and have it shipped separate from any cartridge cylinder to be legal. I was laid up from a back operation a couple of years ago and the bug bit me again. I use to shoot the Remington New Model Army in competition so naturally that's what caught my eye on the internet. I bought two engraved ones, one nickel plated and one blued with the 8" barrels, two with 12" barrels - one steel and one brass framed, and the revolver carbine. That carbine always looked kool. Yes they're nice looking and accurate. I still look at a rifle or two, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a euroarms copy of the Rogers and Spencer and it shot well enough.
I also have two Italian Uberti "peacemakers" in 44/40 which, while needing a complete strip and polish of the internals, are pretty solid functioning pistols.
I've owned a bunch of various Italian made muzzle-loading rifles, some of which were pretty accurate. I think the pedersoli are probably the pick of the mainstream manufacturers.
There is no doubt the fit and finish cannot be compared to a quality original, but they could never afford to put that much time into it and produce a marketable product.
My favourite's however have been the English Parker Hale Enfields, I've owned all of them other than the volunteer and all have been well made and accurate.
Currently I shoot an original two band volunteer circa 1859.
Am tempted to take that one out during the roar.....

GDU

Sidelock
Sidelock

In percussion revolvers, I have stayed with Colt. I have a .36 caliber Texas Patterson, .44 cal Walker, 1849 .31 cal pocked model, .44 cal 1860 Army, .36 cal1861 Navy & an 1873 45 Colt SAA. All of these were made by either Uberti or Pietta. A former co-worker of mine had a first-generation Colt SAA & we compared my Uberti with it. The difference in the smoothness of action was virtually non-existent. I had bought mine on sale from Cabellas at Dealer price for about $100.00 as I had an FFL at the time. Muzzle Energy notwithstanding, don't believe it when someone tries to tell you a .22 LR is more powerful than the .31 cal Colt pocket model.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've enjoyed muzzle loaders off and on since I got my first one, a CVA 1851 Navy kit, from Target, when I was 18. That was a long time ago. They're fun and make understanding the mechanics easy, as well as teaching you about metal and wood finishing.

Re converting to cartridges, you can make a gun for yourself (here in the USA), so long as what you make is not a National Firearms Act (NFA) restricted gun (so no full auto, no rifle barrels shorter than 16" and no shotgun barrels shorter than 18".) The NFA doesn't restrict capacity, just the above. What you can't do is make a gun and sell it...or at least not repeatedly, as that requires an FFL for manufacture. But personal use is OK. This is why folks make their own ARs and Glocks using 80% receivers.

edit - I'm confident in the above but I'm not a lawyer, and my only FFL is a C&R.

Last edited by CJF; 04/09/20 07:37 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.