March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
You can try to inject courtesy, courtliness, politeness, restraint, gentlemanliness, manners and maturity into a Yank. It's of course difficult...not impossible...just unlikely.

For the sake of argument, lets assume this description about the character of the Yankee is true. Then what does it say about the Insurrectionists that were roundly defeated by them? Not much at all.

And you have an overly idealized version of the CSA and the Civil War. The CSA was never a nation. Not one country ever recognized it as legitimate. Thus the problem with calling it the Civil War as the word war alludes to a conflict between nations. Should have been labeled The Failed Insurrection.

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1861-1865/confederacy

Last edited by nca225; 04/10/20 08:47 AM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

as much as it pains me to say so, 225's post above is correct...

especially the part about loosing the moral high ground over the issue of slavery...

as general longstreet was supposed to have said. " we should have first freed the slaves...and then fired on fort sumter"...

and then there is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRB2dGI1vRM

Last edited by ed good; 04/10/20 08:53 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I no longer fight the WBTS. My forefathers did and lost it. All things considered I find that alright because it resulted in the survival of the Union and the flag I swore allegiance to when I joined the Army, and still do.

But I submit that we should consider this. Slavery was an American sin, not only a Confederate one. The Dred Scott decision was from the US Supreme Court, not the Confederate Supreme Court. The Missouri compromise was enacted in Washington, not Richmond. Northern slavery was just as much a thing as southern slavery until it wasn't...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
You can try to inject courtesy, courtliness, politeness, restraint, gentlemanliness, manners and maturity into a Yank. It's of course difficult...not impossible...just unlikely.

It's quite easy of course, if you avoid insulting innuendo as is so often the case when discussing what is and was most certainly the Civil War, regardless of whatever nicknames you wish to apply. You certainly haven't found them all.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

and the battle continues....

i was born in louisiana, and have lived most of my life in east texas (behind the "pine curtain"). certainly southern enough to be considered as an extension of the deep south. significant percentages of black population and racial animosity are clear and present markers.

although i have never felt any compulsion to participate, i have friends who are devoted members of the SCV, and one friend (from pennsylvania) who is a lifelong reenactor in the tradition of his birth place. he told me years ago that if an event fell short of the required number of rebs...he had enough supplies to change costumes and sub for the other side....i've never heard any of the SCV guys suggest that they would consider such a thing....

anyone who has honestly studied american history should be able to identify the fact that slavery was a thorn in our side from the earliest days. as geo notes it was in no way confined
to the "south". the politics that accompanied slavery effected
our history from pre-independence to well into the 20th century. and discord between rural and urban interests that played such an important part in that conflict have not vanished even today.

but, i will make this observation...from a fairly neutral position: every jacked-up one ton 4wd pick-up with a confederate battle flag decal is not a SCV member, every neo-nazi event with confederate battle flags displayed is not an SCV event, every white supremacist gathering where confederate battle flags are side-by-side with KKK and similar trappings of racial hatred...should set off some sort of warning in your minds.

strange bedfellows indeed...and like yer mama told ya...you're judged by the company you keep.

Last edited by graybeardtmm3; 04/10/20 01:28 PM.

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

did any of you hear buster? did you really understand what he was saying? it appears not...

"what matters colonel is justice"...

Last edited by ed good; 04/10/20 01:31 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

George and Greybeard both have pretty well said it. I am a native born Texan and grew up in cotton country and have seen way more of the legacy of slavery than anyone would want to. I cherish my southern ties and my great grandfather on mothers side was with the Alabama infantry. Dads side took the opposite view and his grandfather was a yankee cavalryman from Union City, Tennessee. But, truth be told, I am thrilled the north won! And yes, the north has a lot of slaverys blood on its hands too.

I personally cant stand any symbol of white supremacy in any form! And unfortunately the confederate battle flag flying in the back of a pickup carries that image to me. But to demolish our memorials of those soldiers from the south is a travesty of monumental proportions. Lets honor the soldiers of both sides who together forged in blood the greatest nation the earth has ever seen!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said, Joe. Very well said.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Copy that Brent, well said Joe!

Sidelock
Sidelock

it matters to some, what their ancestors did...

it matters to some that the interpretation of symbols is evolving...

to me, what matters more is the recognition of injustice imposed upon the weak by the strong...for by coming to terms with our sins of injustice, we can hopefully teach our children to not repeat these same injustices of the past...

we dwell a lot here about the injustices of the distant past that resulted in our wars...maybe we should be more focused on the injustices that have occurred more recently during our time on this earth...

Last edited by ed good; 04/10/20 02:59 PM.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.