March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Karl Graebner, Perry M. Kissam, Jason Dubois, GeorgeGibbs505, Licensed to kill, 1 invisible), 881 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Likewise. I like it when they don't run.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Likewise. I like it when they don't run.

Exactly, although I think Gus does. He enjoys the challenge. But he gets enough of those anyway.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also was not very recoil sensitive until around 70 yrs of age when I became more tender. The old British "Rue of Thumb" of gun weight = 96 times the shot weight is a pretty good guide.

This fits quite well with Burrard's rule that most people can generally handle loads that do not exceed 16 fps of recoil velocity. Recoil velocity is actually a much more important factor than recoil Energy. If not NO ONE could handle the really big stuff.

I have shot factory 1 oz loads from a 3'' 20 that weighed only 6 lbs. Recoil was stiff but bearable if one was only shooting a few & not in rapid succession. When I was much younger I shot some of the 2 3/4" baby Mags with 1 oz shot from some rather light guns, all solid breech, no gas-operated guns, but would not do so now.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ksauers1
Brent, do you know what the pressure is on these? L do you load llead and bismuth?

From Hodgdon manual:
Longshot Ched. 209 WAA12F114 29.8 8,000 PSI 1,330

I believe I am actually using 28 grns of powder, so I'm slightly slower and less pressure. I would have to look at my books to be sure.

I have also used a Bluedot load, but I believe the pressure is a bit higher. I don't have that handy and Hodgdon doesn't list a load for it on line.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I sold my hell for stout Lefever several years ago, but just recently picked up two guns that should take care of my upland and duck hunting needs. I live in northwest Montana and hunt ducks two to three times a week. I hunt upland east of the mountains two oor three times a season.

Montana pheasant hunting requires lots of walking, so a lighter gun is nice there. For that purpose I bought a 1924 LC Smith featherweight 12 ga, 28 barrel gun. It weighs 6#-8 and fits me perfectly. Using the 96 formula it works out to 1-1/8 oz loads, which seems perfect for pheasants. I sometimes hunt on a refuge that requires non toxic, so I guess Ill shop for some RST shells.

Similarly some heavier RST for my duck hunting. I just received the Fox pin gun I bought from Jason Peck. A 12 ga, 30 barrel wring in at 7-1/4 pounds. Its a tiny bit short at 14 even, so I might replace the plastic butt plate with a thin recoil pad.

Im sure both guns have had a lifetime of 2 3/4 shells through them, Ive had both guns checked out by my gunsmith, but Im curious what the experts on here think about me shooting 2 3/4 shells through them? I didnt measure the Elsies chamber, but the Fox is 2 5/8.

Last edited by Glacierjohn; 04/06/20 10:16 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Perfect! smile I always did like Gene.

Sometime this week, I will probably be loading what I and a friend will need for this fall. So far, I am very optimistic about the coming season.

Brent, keep your fingers crossed for a warm, dry spring!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Believe me, I am! My fingers are cramping but I'm holding on.

Not too dry though. We will need some gentle rains to get the vegetation growing well and the bug crop up. It is a little dry right here, or so it seems to me. Just a little.

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

RST offers a 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz pheasant load in its Premium Grade line. 1200 fps. You can get them in size 4, 5, or 6 shot. I've used some of those, and I think they're as good as any equivalent load on the market. Price I have listed is $12/box. Even with shipping, those will cost you less per box than the "premier" loads from the big ammo makers. And the RST's, with much less velocity, also produce much less recoil.

They don't list pressure, but I'm pretty sure they'll tell you if you ask.

Re tower shoots: They're designed to more or less simulate driven shooting. The loads I've shot when in Scotland have been either 1 oz or 1 1/16 oz. And they'll do the job quite nicely on birds under 40 yards. And a 40 yard driven bird is pretty darned "tall" at your typical driven shoot. Not speaking of the places that specialize in really high birds, 50 yards and more. But those guys shoot heavy, long-barreled guns pushing heavy loads through tight-choked barrels.

We Yanks are used to shooting walked up pheasants over dogs (unless you're a blocker) at mostly going away angles. They're a lot harder to kill when they're shot as outgoers than they are as incomers. Coming at you, their vitals are far more exposed. So those light British loads, which are mostly Brit 6's (slightly larger than US 7's) do the job very nicely. You've also got a bunch of "pickers" lined up behind you to collect the victims and to run down the cripples with their dogs. Usually retrievers and spaniels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

L C Smith standardized on 2 3/4" chambers in 12 gauge very early on. Not so on the 16 & 20 gauges.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, nice thread. Anyway, here are some pressures that RST gave me when I made an inquiry about their pressures.

The first one is what Col Brown was discussing. I use this load for late season roosters. I works and then some!

Best,

Greg

1) 12ga 2 3/4" Premium Pheasant 1 1/4oz 1200fps ... 7800 psi

2) 12ga 2 1/2" Best Grade 1oz 1175fps (Lead, Plastic Hull) ... 6500 psi

3) 16ga 2 1/2" Best Grade 1oz 1200fps " ... 6800 psi

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.