March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (graybeardtmm3, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 857 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm more put off by the silver finish, case colors for me. The inlays would look OK on a CC background. At 64K I won't be troubled!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd be happy to have it just the way it is. That is one of the more handsome germanic guns that I've ever seen. Its lines seem far different than a run of the mill Sauer. I like it, just not $64k worth, but that says more about my wallet than the gun.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a ca 1901 Sauer/V L & d Knock About that appears to have the same basic action. If so this s a back action lock, which it appears to be in the picture. The sear is mounted vertically on the plate & hinges in the middle. The sear notch on the hammer is on the outer periphery of the hammer giving the best possible purchase, ie farthest possible from the axle. Overall an extremely good design in my opinion.

The Knock About is of course nowhere near this Fancy.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ChiefAmungum
I'm more put off by the silver finish, case colors for me. The inlays would look OK on a CC background. At 64K I won't be troubled!

Just for you Chief!

https://www.sauer.de/en/shotgun-magma/

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can take gold on blue in small doses, gold on coin, aah, no thanks.

And does anyone actually use cocking indicators?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I have a ca 1901 Sauer/V L & d Knock About that appears to have the same basic action. If so this s a back action lock, which it appears to be in the picture. The sear is mounted vertically on the plate & hinges in the middle. The sear notch on the hammer is on the outer periphery of the hammer giving the best possible purchase, ie farthest possible from the axle. Overall an extremely good design in my opinion.

The Knock About is of course nowhere near this Fancy.

Miller, sorry to hear of your health issues and I wish you all the best. Have enjoyed your posts here over the years I've been around. Hope to continue to enjoy them for some time.

I have an early Sauer sidelock as well, made on a similar action so it likely is very close to yours although mine is labeled as a Sauer. Remarkably svelte design. It's a 12 gauge and down around 6 1/4 pounds with 29 1/2" barrels. Honestly it carries like a 16.

It's a project gun so it will be a while before all is done on it but with new wood, and fresh finishes on the action and the Damascus, it won't be a $65000 gun but CJO tells me it will be likely as well made. LOL

BTW, It is CJO who has the Sauer Model 29 Meisterwerk. It is quite something. Even if gold isn't one's "thing".

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/therustickshell/WORKPICTURES043.jpg

Last edited by canvasback; 04/06/20 10:08 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Heres mine. Miller is right, the lock internals are just about perfect. Notice mine has an intercepting sear. The gun is a 12 gauge from the 1890s and the barrels use the shoe lump method of joining which is a miracle of engineering in itself. Oh, the case colors are original, fresh out of an ultrasonic cleaning.

The US patent drawings for Sauers shoe lump:

Last edited by Joe Wood; 04/06/20 10:34 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well e very best example can be seen here:http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/archive-fruhauf-hendrik/
There is also a very big difference in a meisterstuck and meisterarbeid.
Cheers, Marc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice looking gun Joe. Mine also has the shoe lump. It does not have the intercepting sear, the sear is vertical rather than sloped as yours & has a Doll's head rather than the cross bolt. Mine is also a project gun, missing the entire forend. It has a leather-covered cheekpiece which has a split, looks to be cork beneath it with the comb hollowed out to hold the cork.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes! the case colors are much better. I think something was lost in the translation, Magma vs. Magna perhaps? Still the 64K question remains.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.