March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am not a gunsmith, but I like to work on broken cheap sxs,
Can you please recommend a brand of screwdriver to use?
Pete

Boxlock
Boxlock

A set of Brownell's mag tip screwdrivers will suit you well. The interchangeable tips provide you with a choice to fit most of your needs. You can also custom grind extra tips to your specific needs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

brownell's, as referenced above...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use the Wheeler 72 bit set. It has two drivers, a small one and a larger one for more torque. It has double bits for some of the very thin blades. These blades are ground parallel and are not like regular screw driver with a tapered tip. This is why you see many mangled screws because of using that type.

I work on my L.C. Smiths and Hunter Arms box locks and there are manybe 5-6 bits that I use all the time, but it is nice to know that there are other bits in case I need them.

The trouble with the fixed blade screwdrivers is that maybe one will fit your screw/s and the rest are never used. Trying to grind one to fit is very hard to do correctly and get it parallel to the other face.

Last edited by David Williamson; 03/27/20 01:05 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have happily used Brownell's drivers for probably three decades; they have a lifetime warranty. There are others patterned after Brownell's, Wheeler comes to mind.

I once bought a set of Grace drivers - as purchased, they fit nothing. All of the tips required custom grinding/fitting. That is not beyond my capability, but with the Brownell set sitting on the shelf, it is definitely beyond my inclination. Too, the Grace steel was soft and easily bent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brownells by a wide margin. And also get the set of thin blades. Properly grinding tips is fine but for me its difficult to achieve perfectly parallel sides with equal thickness side to side. For grinding I have a diamond wheel that is chucked in my drill press and I can cinch a turn screw into a small milling vice and sliding it on the drill press table I can maintain a perfectly flat head. Still difficult though.

PS: I think one of the main reasons we see screw heads messed up is the slots were not carefully and completely cleaned out before trying to turn them. And a lot of the hundred year old gook in a slot is rock hard. An Exacto blade will clean them up nicely. I usually use a thin piece of brass sheet Ive cut into a V point to dig it out.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 03/27/20 09:19 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood

PS: I think one of the main reasons we see screw heads messed up is the slots were not carefully and completely cleaned out before trying to turn them. And a lot of the hundred year old gook in a slot is rock hard. An Exacto blade will clean them up nicely. I usually use a thin piece of brass sheet I’ve cut into a V point to dig it out.

Totally agree with this statement. Some of the screw slot depths are not very deep to start with so if they are half filled with hard crud, it sure doesn't leave much for applying pressure with a turnscrew.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chapman Mfg Co,used a set for years ,been very good!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used a Brownell's set for over thirty years with good results. But, I have never gotten used to that small amount of slop that is in the bit with the magnet holding it in place. Maybe I'm too picky, but I sure would prefer a good handle that held the bit securely, and without any wiggle. At 68 I've got enough "wiggle" of my own. As for the bits, they're good quality.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.