May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (DGM, Borderbill, David Williamson, MattH, PM), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,561
Posts546,331
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
I have a number of Remington 3200, they are fun,

Currently, I am making up a barrel set for 16 gauge
to go with my 12, 20, 28, and 410 barrels smile

What will the primary purpose be for this shotgun?
Good for waterfowl if the 3" Model, others are not
rated for steel shot

PM me if you wish more chatting

Mike

Ive shot steel though 3200s since the 90s. As long as the barrels are sound and the chokes are open enough....theyll handle steel all day long with absolutely ZERO problems. My current 3200 gets fed a steady diet of 2 3/4 Remington 1 1/8 Oz steel loads for almost a decade now. No issues.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did not say you could not, I said they were not rated for steel shot. I know because I called Remington in those early days concerning my 3200 field gun.

https://books.google.com/books?id=xvox3v...ated&f=true

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
I did not say you could not, I said they were not rated for steel shot. I know because I called Remington in those early days concerning my 3200 field gun.

https://books.google.com/books?id=xvox3v...ated&f=true

I didnt say that you said you could not. With that said....you definitely implied that a field grade 3200 isnt suitable for use with steel shot. I simply stated my experience with using field grade 3200s shooting steel shot...and lots of it. Someone else might come along and give their experience shooting steel through one of these guns and what horrors they may have encountered in doing so.....but I doubt it, especially if they took the precautions (right choke combo, proper shell length, moderate velocity etc. and no, Im not an advocate of lengthening the chambers!) .
We all know why Remington said not to use steel in most 3200s back in the day. And we know why using steel in these guns is ok in this day and age.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I absolutely love 3200s. I have a dozen of them in the gun room right now. Down from 20-30 at my peak. The updates were done for free for many years. I shot one without the updates for years. After 250K shells I sent it in for the updates. Worked the same after updates but I never shot it another 250K shells. Maybe 50K. By then I had perfected a spectacular flinch due to shooting too many .458 and .375 for a African Safari which sadly never happened.

I stopped shooting entirely for about a year before trying just about everything to cure my flinch problems. Tried using different fingers, different guns, shooting low gun only and even learning how to shoot left handed. I even went to shooting .410 for about a decade in a effort to eliminate my flinch problems. After five years of shooting left handed I was able to return to shooting right handed with a very rare flinch rate of one in a few hundred instead of my original one in five shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What exactly did the companies do to make a shotgun barrel "rated for steel"???? Unless they somehow made the steel stronger or thicker or harder or whatever or whatever, I wonder if they did anything other than quit taking the easy route on their guns with the advent of steel and simply say they were rated for it. Some of you with a lot more knowledge of metallurgy than I will probably have an answer to the question of this doubting Thomas!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

For me the choice is easy, an original Model 32. I use one exclusively, a two barrel set, for skeet, trap and clays. I have also owned a 3200 and its a great gun, but its not a Model 32. While they look similar, they are very different inside. There is a reason the Model 32 design was purchased by Krieghoff and is by far the dominant gun for clays and trap. Its just an awesome gun. You can find one on GI, GB or Proxibid for reasonable price. Not all, or even most, have been shot to pieces. In fact, mine, a 1936 model, has been refurbished, looks good as new and is mechanically excellent. Its chugging right along. Again, both the 32 and 3200 are great guns, but the Model 32 is my preference.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the early days when steel shot first showed up, the wads weren't as good as they are now. The introduction of the 3200 overlapped the development of steel on ducks and manufacturing ended in the early 1980s. Here's an article regarding the histories of the 32 and 3200. One of my lifelong hunting companions shoots his grandfather's four barrel set 32 that his dad inherited and he inherited from his dad. Simmons at one time made the subgauge barrels. It shows lots of use, but it keeps on ticking.

https://www.wildfowlmag.com/editorial/remembering-the-remington-3200/280104

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with LeatherWoodSteel, the 3200 has a clunky/mechanical feel compared to the 32 that handles more "old school" I made the 27 yard line with a straight grip 32.
I am now shooting a first year 32TC with double triggers--I am trying to master good doubles with it!
You can find upgraded 32's fairly easy, there are several on GI now. Un-molested--much more difficult, many years have passed in the hands of shooters that love to tinker and modify.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to shoot skeet with a guy who owned a Peerless. Loved it. Shot the heck out of it. Was in line to get one in 20ga, which apparently Remington had in the works--but never followed through. Another friend shoots a Peerless at targets, sometimes carries it pheasant hunting. It's been bulletproof for him too.

The 32 continued to live on in the Kreighoff. However, the 32 itself was based on a French gun called the Petrik. (Imagine that . . . someone copying the French!) But the Petrik wasn't as different from typical OU's as were the Darnes and the Manufrance Ideals from typical sxs. They wouldn't have copied it in the K-guns if it hadn't been a good design. But as others have said, there aren't many original 32's out there. They were all essentially target guns and mostly got shot a lot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Matt Dryke won the Olympic gold medal in 1984 with a $300 Model 3200 Remington. His competition 3200s were straight out of the box, like mine were. No custom stocks, added ribs, choke work, just stock 28" skeet guns. One time, Matt was on the road for a social situation, not to shoot. He showed up at Prince Georges Trap and Skeet in Maryland, with his girlfriend, whose name I will not mention, but no gun. We were shooting on an International field, shooting legal International birds. He was shooting her gun, which was not a 3200 and was a bit short in the stock. She was a Beretta employee and shot Beretta guns. He was not up to his usual level with it. I gave him my 3200 to shoot and he liked it, ran the first 25 birds. We went on to shoot a few more rounds and Matt ran the next 75 for 100 straight. As most of you know, a 100 straight is not common in this game, either in competition and less likely in a practice session. I am not afraid to tell this story because it is true and if Matt reads this, he will get a chuckle out of it. Bill Murphy

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.