May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (earlyriser, Ted Schefelbein, riflegunbuilder, FelixD, 2 invisible), 314 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Stan. I have been trying to use paper wrapped around a file, but I have a tiny high spot at the front and back despite trying very hard not to put pressure laterally. You can see the gap in the picture.

The good thing is that the center is still relatively hollow so it shouldn't be too hard to remove a little more at the edge

Jim
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Woodreaux
Thus far, all I've done is begin shaping and re-attach with the same screw that came with the gun.

I'm not planning to leave it so thick, but I haven't decided what final shape I'm going for.

Although the posted question had to do with attaching the cap, does anyone have suggestions on how to put a cove on the edge? Router? Gouge and file?

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

This horn grip cap was imported from Germany, purchased from Brownells and mounted on a custom Mauser I built and dated 1976. The unfinished wooden one I made about 20 years ago just to see if I could do it.
I Never attach Anything permanently to a gunstock. Use a screw, with a peg if you don't want it to turn. This is especially important if you are going to dispose of a gun so the next guy to get it doesn't have to figure out if the previous bonehead glued it on. Epoxied recoil pads are an abomination!
(My screw head embellishment left something to be desired 44 years ago~)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've got a thin piece left that I'm going to practice on. My idea is to sand the edge over at a 45 on the belt grinder. Then I'm going to try to file a cove all the way around. I'm trying to decide whether to checker or carve something on the flat. Will depend on how easy it is to work with edge tools

Thanks for the pictures Stephen. I wonder if the grooves in the first cap were made with a triangular file. Looks great.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

If your cove isn't working out how you would hope, it's possible to make a file guide. Hardened steel is somewhat better, but basically you make homemade washers bigger than your grip cap. With various cobbled up spacers, depth limiting oval and or donuts you sandwich the cap material and center up where you want the cove under a file width slot. Line it up with a small bolt through center and maybe thin two sided tape in spots if needed and steady it in a vise.

I don't have the experience and practice to freehand a decent small cove like this, so it's been worth the set up time and effort to make this type of file guide for me and the results are crisp. It wouldn't bother me to consider a bearing guided router bit edge in a table, but my suspicion would be to use low rpms and nibble. What ever method used, the cove shape does not have to be limited to a quarter round, and for the gun in the pictures, I'd think a subtle dome shaped cap with or maybe better without flutes would have a good look. Only thoughts, because freehand filing or even getting a good starter bevel on the edge might be frustrating. Best of luck.

Last edited by craigd; 03/19/20 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's an update on the horn grip cap:
I decided to go with grinding an angle at 45 degrees followed by rasp, file, and sandpaper to make the cove. You can see the start of the file work in this photo.

Here's the current product. I actually started to checker the flat surface but decided it didn't look great (likely because it was my first attempt at checkering), so I sanded it flat.

I also had to make a new forend tip, which was my first attempt at inlay. This project is providing plenty of stock work experience so far.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking good Woodreaux~~ if you keep close to your layout lines and are careful with the tools I find you can do remarkable work free hand. I would recommend getting a Jerry Fisher medium cap for a template. I find it has the best oval shape and the best dimensions of any grip cap I'm aware of. Maybe your oval was made to fit an existing stock but Fisher's oval also makes a more pleasing grip, IMO.
I could send you a tracing if you would like?

BTW: I only use horn for restoration. I prefer ebony for new work. It has more seasonal variation that walnut, but less than horn and I've had worms invade my powder horns. I don't have clue where they came from but it completely unhinged me when I realized it happened in my workshop!!!

Nice job on filling the entry pipe inlet on the forearm as well.

All the grooves and shaping on my practice cap were done with a three-cornered file.

Here is a close-up of a Fisher medium cap with a drill guide to ensure a straight hole. A reallynicely proportioned oval.

Another Fisher cap used on a Britte sidelock. I milled .100" of the top flattening the dome and making it thinner for double gun usage.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 05/01/20 07:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fisher cap scan emailed Woodreaux.
I doubt if the scan comes out actual size? I'd drop the tracing in the mail if you send an address by email.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the scan. If you send me a measurement of the length, I can easily scale it to size I think. But many thanks for the offer of mailing. If the digital attempts don't work, I may take you up on the offer.

Edit:. Just saw that you included the measurements. I'll let you know if I can't make it work correctly

Last edited by Woodreaux; 05/02/20 09:41 PM.

Jim
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.