May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bret Adams, R. Glenz, Karl Graebner, 2 invisible), 964 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,485
Posts545,288
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I am a trusting soul and have paid the price for that a time or two. Always ask more questions!...Geo

LOL, I'll go along with that. And it's not only guns. Wives too! laugh

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I'm a very trusting person. Plus I knew of this guy and felt safe in what he was saying and selling. The Purdey did check out as Purdey did say the barrels were original 27 1/2".

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had two guns that were not the gauges stated when sold on GunBroker.
In both cases GunBroker was zero help. One was a 12 which turned out to be a very light 10 and the other was a 16 which again turned out to be a light 12. How hard is it to drop a shell into a gun I wonder?

The other mistakes are often hidden flaws that creative camera angle have omitted in spite of many pictures. Worse have been a couple slightly out of focus photos which clearly were meant to hide problems. Or clearly mistaken facts in the descriptions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once purchased a 14ga side by side on gunbroker only to discover it was a 20ga upon receipt, I imagine the 14mm stamped on the barrel confused the seller. Fortunately it was actually a great price for a 20ga. I informed the seller of his error and asked if he wanted it back, which he did not. It later figured in a good trade for another 16.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PALUNC
Stan, I'm a very trusting person. Plus I knew of this guy and felt safe in what he was saying and selling. The Purdey did check out as Purdey did say the barrels were original 27 1/2".

Glad it turned out to be original, Mike. In retrospect if you had measured the barrels before buying you might have passed on an original gun, thinking it had cut barrels.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one dealer who I am certain tried to scam me once. He knew I liked doubles so as soon as I entered his shop he piled out a Holland Holland box lock> I looked it over & told him, first an H&H should be a sidelock, 2nd it should say Holland & Holland &3rd it would not be wearing a full set of Belgian proof marks. He never tried again.

Another dealer did Scam me. He was a very well known dealer at the time, now deceased, & sold through Shotgun News, GunList as well as several other places. I asked if he had any Lefevers. He said one at home but did not have it with him. He described t as being a Syracuse built Lefever box-lock 20 gauge but not a Nitro Special, said he thought it was an A grade. Right then is where I should've gotten real suspicious, but just thought he had forgotten the grade marking. It was priced way below what an A grade "New Lefever" should have cost. It came in on about a Wed but I was working overtime & could not get to my dealer before closing so I had to wait for Saturday Turned out it was indeed an A grade but was not a Lefever, but a Syracuse Arms Co.had to wait for Saturday. By the time I picked it up & could call him he was closed for the week, so I could not call before Monday.

He refused to take it back on the grounds I did not contact him until after three days. I explained the situation of my work & that I did indeed call him within three days of my picking up the gun. He also adamantly refused to accept that it was not a Lefever, because it was made in Syracuse, he said.

Anyway, it was actually priced OK for what it was, but I was not interested in SAC guns. I traded it it in for the sidelock J P Clabrough 12 gauge which turned out I liked so well I still have it.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the late 1980s, a dealer, no longer with us, from Cape Girardeau, MO., advertised an NID Ithaca No. 1E .410-bore with 28-inch barrels. I called, struck a deal and mailed off my check and a copy of my local gun stores FFL. In due time a package arrived at my local FFL. What it contained was a very early NID Field Grade (no ejectors) .410-bore, fully Turnbullized, with wonder of wonders 28-inch barrels!! At any rate I called and informed the dealer I was sending it back and had my money refunded in exactly 30 days from when I sent it back. Everyone I talked to who had dealt with said dealer opined that I was damn lucky to get my money back that quickly!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher;
'
May just be a coincidence, but my "Mis-Identified Lefever also came from Cape Girardeau. Most likely was the same dealer. I would say you were Extremely lucky he took it back at all.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a strange deal with a guy from Cape Girardeau also, but I don't think he's dead.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a double but I bought off GunBroker a nice looking Simmons upgraded Model 42. The seller posted a lot of pretty pix except one that showed this:

He initially claimed it was damaged when opening, but I finally got my money back

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.