March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (DaveB, gunmaker, bushveld, Jimmy W, Roundsworth, Researcher), 765 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

That looks real good LetFly. That's a nice looking repair and refinish job. I think Uncle Dan would be happy that you saved this G Grade and are putting it back in service. It should be good for another 100 years.

I have found that going on the darker side when finishing, as you did here, does a better job of making any crack repairs less evident.

It was also very nice to see that you gave Lou (dblgunfix) credit and praise for the work he did in making a new cocking or hammer axle. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Letfly...that looks great mate, you got a lovely dark brown going there, it looks really nice, good work sir...good help from Keith too.
Franc

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lefever project #47216 G wood refurbished. Next step to restore the Damascus pattern on the barrels after the quail shoots in April.

A sincere thanks to forum members who helped with advice and comments on wood splits and crack repair. Also the in-depth discussions on wood finish, Flexner's book, etc. proved to be quite valuable. This forum is unmatched for advice, insight, and information. Much appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Isn't keith a remarkable guy? Just the kind of upstanding, forthright and evolved kind of guy you would like to bring home and introduce to you younger sister?
ol joe is another inspiring, warm and insightful, stand-up kinda guy. What a crew to be proud of, don't cha think?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith offered infinitely more help on this thread than you did. All you did was show up and snipe.

If you don't like the "crew" feel free to go back wherever you were for the last few months before you resurfaced.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am new to the Dg BBS and I really enjoyed the interaction with others as interested in double guns as myself. This Lefever project and thread has been fun. Now...

I have noticed snipping and bad blood between some members as I read other threads. I am interested in learning from others more experienced and sharing what I am working on. I would appreciate it if you would not hijack my thread, this one or any other, for this purpose. Carping at others, please do it on your own thread.

I find this BBS very informative so please post on my threads if you have something to offer to the discussion and topic.

LetFly, a $$ contributing member.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LetFly
I am new to the Dg BBS.... Now...

I have noticed ....Carping...

I find this BBS very informative so please post on my threads if you have something to offer to the discussion and topic.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the way things are on here, and as the first reply to your request demonstrates, it doesn't change anything to ask for less of the bull, even within your own thread.

And the website owner won't change anything, apparently. A casual stroll through the archives will demonstrate that this has been going on for decades.

This is the only forum that has ever asked for donations in my experience, and its website is archaic and unmoderated.

But the content is gold (if you're willing to dig through the rubble).

Jim
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Alrighty then, continuing on...

Now, getting back to the Lefever project. Wood finished, save the final rub out (still waiting on a hard cure) and wax, I have this issue to resolve. After the thorough, perhaps too much so, cleaning, the cocking hook keyway no longer functions as intended. After 106 years of who knows how many cockings, the keyway slot has been elongated just enough to the point that the hammer pin no longer rotates the hammer hooks far enough to engage the sear hooks. A couple of photos to illustrate.

Now getting the hook keyway repaired to be a custom snug fit to the hammer pin key.

Quail season is just around the corner. Quailing over the Brits in April is definitely a social distancing activity I intend to participate in with Uncle Dan's #47216.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you say something Stan?
Sorry, I was ignoring you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan was just "sniping". It's interesting what he whines about and what he gives a pass.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.