April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, Argo44, Roundsworth, graybeardtmm3, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 427 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
Anyone ever tried to scan a steel shot bird with a metal scanner? To find and pick out steel shot before cooking?

I have/occasionally use, a Wizard, metal detecting device.
Its slow, and tedious to use.
Great for scanning reclaimed lumber, not so much for waterfowl.

Since cooked feathers taste awful, I found that probing wounds, and filleting my waterfowl gives me better results.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good point L Brown but I fear the dye is cast and perception emotion and politics are taking precedence over presentation of a scientific argument for change

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Konor3inch
Sorry craigd Im struggling to see your point ,could you be more specific....

....its what we do that causes this demonisation....

I suspect that your entire recreational shooting industry is under pressure from antis, not just the estate shoots. From what I have seen in the US, if shooters have an organization that can lobby on their behalf politically, the more effect that lobby is, the more demonized and marginalized antis will want it to appear.

When I watched the video at the start of this thread, people in your shooting industry are saying that they are only doing the voluntary ban to strengthen sport gunning. Those of you who have commented do not seem to be looking forward to an improvement? It appears to me that every time the antis bring up a complaint, the response is the give another inch? I may be wrong, but instead of feeling the antis have a reason to demonize you, ask yourself why it isnt just as valid to demonize their position? Its likely just cultural differences, and only my thoughts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I"ll bet that when fools finally give up their guns and a true tyrant takes control of the government, people will regret having only torches and pitchforks to defend their children and possessions...Geo

It is not the hunting, it is the guns. Don't be confused by that.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 02/28/20 04:47 PM. Reason: added final sentence
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the clarification craigd ,I agree we seem to always be on the back foot and not proactive in the face of attack from the anti fieldsports community.
The divisions here among shooters does not help either and our lack of access to common ground to hunt on is a disadvantage as we lack that opportunity to normalise our hunting instinct and make it more inclusive to the general population .Instead we are prone to be seen as an elitist group characterised as toffs on the moor on the twelfth or hooray henrys blasting away at pheasants at a covert side and I think it is those generalisations which make it easy to polarise opinion.
It appears now that there was no consultation with the cartridge manufacturers who have now issued a statement to that effect and contradicting the statement by the fieldsports organisations. The whole issue has turned into a bit of a farce

Sidelock
Sidelock

It might be helpful if your field sport organizations and the ammunition manufacturers would cosponsor youth shooting events. If its anything like in the US, your next generation is being conditioned to demonize some of these activities without know why.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It appears the UK cartridge manufacturers aren't going to be able to meet the 5 year timeline. Cartridge Reply. All is not roses.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Konor3inch
A good point L Brown but I fear the dye is cast and perception emotion and politics are taking precedence over presentation of a scientific argument for change

That's a real shame. I had no idea that it was so bad. But then again, I don't recall a lot of resistance in the past when the anti-gunners started chipping away at gun ownership in the UK.

I think there is a lesson to be learned here. Recently, anti-gun Democrats were elected to govern our State of Virginia. Predictably, it wasn't very long before the Democrat Governor and Democrat Legislature began pushing anti-gun legislation. The gun owners and shooters of Virginia could have given up and said that the die is cast. Instead, they pushed back in a big way. At least 85 of 95 Virginia Counties have passed a measure declaring themselves 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries-- i.e., places where the new anti-gun laws will not be enforced or adhered to. Sheriffs and Police Officials have served notice that they will not enforce these Unconstitutional laws. One County Sheriff announced that he will deputize citizens if Democrats pass and attempt to enforce these measures:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6114900990001#sp=show-clips

Unfortunately, we do have gun owners here who also would simply permit the anti-gunners to continue to chip away at our Constitutional Rights. Many of them are even foolish enough to support and vote for anti-gun Democrats.

Here is what one of the Framers of our Constitution, George Mason said almost 250 years ago. His words are as relevant today as they were back then:

[W]hen the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually, by totally disusing and neglecting the militia.
George Mason

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith,
The situation here in Scotland is a bit different from America .
Firearms for game shooting or target only and a declining interest in both over the last couple of decades by the general population. Although I was brought up in the country where shotguns were common here in the city I know very few people who have any interest in using firearms. For example no one I work with, around 100 people , is a gun owner.
The restrictions on firearms ownership have come about after mass shootings the Hungerford massacre by Michael Ryan brought about the ban on self loading centre fire rifles and the Dunblane massacre by Thomas Hamilton brought about the handgun ban.
After serving in the Army I held a firearms certificate for pistol shooting which I surrendered after Dunblane . I wasnt too bothered ,clay shooting ,wildfowling game shooting and deer stalking were more enjoyable and the pistol clubs had their fair share of Walter Mittys who although harmless were a bit tedious.
We are fortunate in Scotland that real gun crime incidents are low, and restricted to drug feud hits when they occur , so we have little fear of a firearm related attack. The limited availability of handguns here means no one feels the need to carry a firearm to protect oneself so no we dont have access to handguns but then we dont really need them.
This general low interest in firearms related pastimes and the perceived lack of need to be armed both compared to USA has probably contributed to a lack of opposition in general to firearms restrictions.
Of course within the associations there is a continual fight to combat an increase in restrictions but there is no one fighting to enable Scots to conceal carry handguns and Im quite glad that is the case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Konor3inch, I am much more concerned about being injured or killed from a medical mistake or from a collision with someone who is texting while driving. Those things pose much more actual risk to those of us living in the U.S. than being assaulted with a handgun or shot by a semi-auto rifle in any mass shooting.

I've made the point before about the low level of firearms ownership in Russia and the much higher incidence of murder and violent firearms crime in Russia versus the U.S.

The U.S. has over 300 million guns and a 2012 murder rate of 4.7 per 100,000. Russia has only 13 million guns, and a 2012 murder rate of 9.2 per 100,000. So we have over 23 times as many guns and a murder rate about half as high as Russia. It would seem that the problem is cultural rather than due to the availability of guns.

I'm quite confident that if some mentally ill nut or terrorist decides to inflict mass murder upon Scotland, the past and future gun bans will not stop them. Let's not forget that the recent attack in Nice, France killed 87 people with a truck as the weapon of choice. Our anti-gun news media barely reported the 33 people killed in a mass murder that did not involve any guns in July, 2019 in Japan... another country with severe firearms restrictions:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan...n-idUSKCN1UD1UN

With the low interest in guns and shooting as a result of the attrition in Scotland, you probably won't be all that upset when the anti-gunners finish their goal of eliminating guns from your country. I sincerely hope that gun owners here in the U.S. keep on fighting.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.