April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (barrel browner, LeFusil, Ducks Rx, KDGJ, JBG), 400 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,206
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23
Sidelock
Sidelock

On technology, wherever there's a dollar to be made in our consumer culture someone will come up with reasonable alternatives. The "big question" is how long it takes to get magnumitis out of shooters' heads. Anything in 7,000psi-range and 1200fps has been good to me for 80 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The range being quoted for steel shot non magnum loads suitable for a 2 3/4 12 bore is 25 to 30 metres ,for rough shooting thats not ideal . Im hoping that will be improved on so that 2 1/2 inch chambered guns will be a viable proposition when the ban is introduced.
The birds I remember from the season are the 40 yard driven pheasants that fold up. If the ban curtails that I can see myself switching from pheasants to flighted duck. Id sooner shoot closer fast moving duck at evening flight into wetland than shoot pheasants at under 30 yards.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 02/27/20 01:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a tremendous opportunity for wad development.

I think scintered W (Tungsten) loads, and co-polymer pellets, will take the place of the heavy lead loads on the high bird shoots.

The costs are going to be moved around, but the guns can definitely expect to pay much more.
10-1 days will be much more rare.

And, (I pray this to be true) images of end loaders disposing of birds on large bag days will be things of the past.

Frank Boddy and I have talked about these issues for years.

Personally, I wish someone would produce a pheasant bratwurst, and sell them frozen as a "Save our sport!" Fundraiser, into American gun clubs.

Our market is so big, that instead of paying for disposal, money might actually be made on it.

My club is the beneficiary of a member that owns a preserve, and grinds breasts and thighs into a grillable sausage.
Older gents love them, as they are much leaner than commercial brats.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Konor3inch
Good post and covers the issue so far. There is no proposal for a voluntary ban on lead rifle ammunition however and as clay shooting is not included in the voluntary ban it will be possible post voluntary ban to practice with your Alex Martin on clays. Which brings up the issue of whether you can clay shoot with lead only on designated clay ranges rather on farm land I suspect clay shooting with lead will be restricted to established clay shooting grounds.
Personally the announcement has caused me to rethink the purchase of any British two and a half inch chambered gun as all my purchases are hunted with and shooting bismuth regularly may be too expensive. I will also not be bidding on the 28 bore Alex Martin over and under in the Holts sale this March as I will be a bit cautious until I see how things develop .
It will be interesting to see if the voluntary ban announcement has any effect on the March Holts sale of small bore shotguns and two and a half inch chambered side by sides.

I shot that Alex Martin 28 Bore, or one very very like it a few years ago when Dickson had an open day at Dunkeld. I very much coveted it and it shot superbly. Those Alex Martin over and under's where made by an Italian maker within the last 20 years, but sadly it went out of business a few years ago. I would much less concern about the availability and use of steel in one of those, than a vintage 2 1/2" chambered gun. If it was a 20 bore, absolutely no issues getting non-toxic and there are plenty of modern 28s in use that it is worth cartridge manufacturers working on developing cartridges.

As for high birds, well a 3" High Velocity Steel cartridge seems to bring down high wigeon well enough with my Franchi Semi Auto. With the correct gun and cartridge I expect high pheasants will be the same - most seem to be shot with modern 3" chambered long barrelled variable chocked over and under by Perrazzi, Berretta or Browning.

And with older guns, Dig Haddeokes article on Vintage Guns makes good reading. Frankly if you can afford to shoot driven phaesants at c40 a bird or driven grouse at whatever lots then go form 0.30 a bang to 1.00 is n't actually going to add a lot of cost. For me a days small shoot with Alex Martin will cost me 25 in bismuth cartridges - and I won't waste them on high flying pigeons and pick and choose my shots.

As for Rifles, the Forestry Commission in England has switched to non-toxic and in extensive testing have found no real difference to traditional bullets. I use the Fox brand from Edinburgh Rifles in my 7x57 and very pleased with the results. They punch a clean 2" diameter hole straight through, deer drop dead very quickly, but you don't all the bruising that you do with a traditional lead bullet. Typically I put a bullet through the shoulder and there is minimal meat damage. With a typical Interlock type bullet I would expect to loose a shoulder on this type of shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot an orvis uplander 20 bore all last season on a small walk one stand one shoot and shot far better than usual and considered moving down to a 28 bore. Ive handled a few Alex Martin over and unders and like yourself was very impressed and I like the straight hand on a lighter gun hence my interest in the Holts Alex Martin.
I shoot near the Solway and theres always the odd goose flighting over so the drop from carrying a 3 inch 12 ,with the ability to use the odd heavy goose load,to a twenty took a bit of thinking about. In practice it wasnt an issue but I think using a 28 with anything less than an equivalent maximum lead load at the lower flying geese I wouldnt be comfortable with. Im not ruling out a 28 in future just dont want to jump for it before Im clearer on what the future holds
I shoot a few roe with my .222 will that still be suitable for roe deer using non lead ammunition ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The voluntary ban will become compulsory in five years which is said to allow time for ammunition development of non lead ammunition with non plastic wads.

So essentially, the "voluntary ban" isn't voluntary at all. It would be best to cut the crap and start calling it exactly what it is... a compulsory ban.

These word games are no different than firearm, magazine, or ammunition bans that our anti-gun Liberal Democrats try to get enacted by calling them "common sense gun laws" or "gun safety measures".

Not to be condescending, but I'd like to think that shooters and gun owners in the UK would have learned how the anti-gunners operate by now.

As far as I am aware there are no recorded cases of human lead poisoning in the UK caused by consumption of game.

Exactly! There is documented scientific evidence that people who consume hunter shot game are not being poisoned by lead shot or bullet fragments. And if the tired old falsehood about lead salts or lead oxide leaching into soils and lakes and causing lead poisoning was true, all of the vast tonnage of lead shot fired into our marshes, lakes, rivers, and estuaries before the U.S. ban on lead shot for waterfowl hunting would still be causing mass poisoning of waterfowl. Every living creature in or around Civil War battlefields like Gettysburg should be dead or dying from all of the lead bullets in the soil. Nobody went out there and cleaned it all up.

The simple fact of the matter is that larger pieces of lead are not a very bio-available form of lead as a toxin. It was much different with the tetraethyl lead in gasoline, or the lead in paints and many other chemical compounds. We've hashed this fact out here many times before, but we still have hunters in the U.S. who fall for the bullshit, and refuse to push back against junk science and outright lies. Most any person who eats hunter shot birds knows of the possibility of biting into shot that wasn't found during cleaning. They chew gently, and they certainly don't swallow any they may bite into. In the event that they did inadvertently swallow lead shot, it would very quickly pass out the other end, and into the crapper. Of course, biting into steel shot is a lot more likely to break a tooth, and other so-called non-toxic shot has its' own environmental toxicity.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The voluntary ban has been instigated by the major game shooting organisations in the UK to encourage shooters to switch to non lead shot. Legally there is no requirement to do so.
The five year period will allow manufacturers to clear their stock of lead shot and hopefully come up with suitable alternatives.
After the five years government will legislate ,there may be exemptions for older weapons or for those shooting game for their own consumption. The large commercial shoots will probably have no option other than to switch to non lead shot after the five year period is up as may we all.
Shooters are well aware of how antis operate here in the UK having come through a raft of legislation banning an array of firearms and having to comply with ever more licensing ,there is no need to state the obvious .
This voluntary ban is just voluntary over a five year period there will be no need to switch from lead during that period . After the five years there will be a compulsory ban or more simply a ban.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 02/27/20 08:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd heap rather bite down on a lead shot and spit it out than crack a tooth on steel...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
....And, (I pray this to be true) images of end loaders disposing of birds on large bag days will be things of the past....

I'm all for responsible taking and use of game, but maybe the truth is that estate shooting is a luxury not a necessity. Out of sight causing things to be out of mind is useful, just as justification for sustenance is dishonest. The estates are running a business, why not let the individual shoots decide if they want their harvest to be marketable, or if the return isn't worth the effort?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shooters are well aware of how antis operate here in the UK having come through a raft of legislation banning an array of firearms and having to comply with ever more licensing ,there is no need to state the obvious .
This voluntary ban is just voluntary over a five year period there will be no need to switch from lead during that period . After the five years there will be a compulsory ban or more simply a ban.

Respectfully, I disagree completely. There actually is a need to state the obvious, because the compulsory ban on lead shot is coming. The fact that dealers and manufacturers get a short time to clear their stocks of lead ammo, and change over production to ballistcally inferior and much more costly non-lead alternatives means nothing. Shooters and gun owners in the UK have been royally screwed again.

They call this sort of attrition a death by a thousand cuts.

The anti-gun forces always say that they just want this one more reasonable little concession, but they soon come back to take away more gun rights. Don't take this observation personally. We have a lot of guys right here in the U.S. who still think they can appease the anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats by giving up someone else's rights to own an AR15, an autoloader, a handgun, a large cap magazine, lead ammunition, scoped high power rifles, etc. These guys keep on voting for the anti-gun politicians who keep coming back to take away more freedom from law abiding citizens.They have to be mentally ill, and they undermine all gun owners.

Repeatedly pointing those facts out has made me a hated enemy to several of them here. I can live with that.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.