March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, Southern Sport, Sandlapper, SKB), 281 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in the middle of several stock de-oiling and re-finish projects.

In the beginning I was acetone heavy but at this point I am using Citri-strip to initially remove finish and rarely pull out the acetone.

I know there are many ways to skin a cat but has anyone found any disadvantage or the Citri-strip or is there just a generally accepted better way?

Acetone is just harsh and expensive.

Thanks

Last edited by Travis S; 02/23/20 11:54 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Citristrip but When done I wash the stock in hot water and Dawn dish soap. Scrubbing the checkering with a stiff nylon brush . The hot soapy water clean the stock nicely and raises dents.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I follow up the freshly stripped stock with hat water rinse and then a spray of foaming "Crud cutter" doing its thing for 5-7 mins and then another hot rinse and one more application of the Crud Cutter. I Rinse off again and then let dry to evaluate what de-oiling and repair effort may be next in line. Probably does about the same with the dawn rinse. I have to say the foaming Crud cutter does a yeoman's job of this first step cleaning.

So far I have not noticed any ill effects but I also have not gotten past the de-oil and repairs on any but a couple stocks. I am just starting to re-apply finish on those.

I am taking plenty of pics so I will eventually report with pics.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just removed most of the finish of a 1920 era LC Smith field grade stock with nothing but denatured alcohol and a cotton reg. Left most of the stain. Varnish was all flakey and wrinkely but clean it up pretty good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Travis S
I just removed most of the finish of a 1920 era LC Smith field grade stock with nothing but denatured alcohol and a cotton reg. Left most of the stain. Varnish was all flakey and wrinkely but clean it up pretty good.

What this means is that the finish was not varnish. Denatured alcohol won't remove varnish. What you removed was almost certainly a shellac finish. Old shellac often gets flaky and wrinkled. Your alcohol dissolved the old alligatored shellac and some of the thinned shellac probably went into the wood.

I also found a shellac finish on a 1920's 16 ga. L.C. Smith Field Grade gun that I picked up at a gun show. The stock looked like crap, which certainly contributed to the low price. This finish was easily removed with alcohol, right down to the wood. There did not seem to be any other finish underneath, so this makes me wonder if Hunter Arms didn't use shellac on some of their guns, because it didn't appear that the gun had ever been refinished. I also bought a Baker double that had a very alligatored finish. I was sure it was refinished with shellac, as it was even slopped onto the metal. I removed it with denatured alcohol, and found that the original stock finish underneath was still intact and in good shape.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

yes the wood on this stock is really nice and the finish came off pretty easy it's going to be a really easy refinish no cracks no dark oil spots straight forward just refinish

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.