March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, Argo44, Stanton Hillis, Pat Gidley), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear you on all counts, but I thought it was a nice rifle. Certainly
Wouldnt want to pay 2K for it, but thats how bidding goes sometimes.
Id have put several hundred more on that first Mauser for sure. All these are reasons I am glad that most times I ignore these rifles because Im a lefty.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Marks_21
I thought this was sweet

I would have cut it to a normal length with an ebony tip on the forend.

If that rifle is a Jaeger, it is the first one I have seen without the unusual Jaeger cheek piece:

Sidelock
Sidelock

It did say in the GB ad that the barrel is marked Jaeger but that doesn't mean it hasn't been restocked.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear you Dan, however we may be looking at some slight of hand or words. The seller said, ".....on a what is a Paul Jaeger custom Mannlicher stocked rifle in .284 winchester. That is marked on the barrel and what was told to me by the previous owner." What is marked? Paul Jaeger or 284 winchester?
Now the seller shows a pic of the barrel stamping for the 284 Win, but no pic of any other markings. Now they were using the Jaeger name as a selling point, won't you think they would proudly show it? Just saying....he's not lying but certainly not very clear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrel is stamped "Paul Jaeger Jenkintown, PA"

Information above was added on 2/10/2020 1:38:54 PM

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 375whelenIMP
The barrel is stamped "Paul Jaeger Jenkintown, PA"

Information above was added on 2/10/2020 1:38:54 PM

Thanks didn't see that.
That still leaves the why no checkering and mismatched engraving. Its a strange duck IMO

Sidelock
Sidelock

snobble cap + skeleton grip cap + skeleton butt plate....are brass? never seen anything similar....and they don't look like jaeger quality. and as stated earlier - never seen a jaeger sans checkering.

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/about-the-makers/gun-makers-catalogs/paul-jaeger/

Jaeger sold a whole line of guns and stocks without checkering called "utility". They also offered rebarreling. The .284 in question does not appear to have an original stock.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for sharing the above link.
Quite interesting and I have not seen that catalog before as I remember. On page 21 it talks about the "Jaeger M1 Safety". I know I have never seen one of these before. Curious does anyone know about these, have a rifle with one on it, or how it functioned? I would be interested in learning more. Thanks

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LRF

Thanks for sharing the above link.
Quite interesting and I have not seen that catalog before as I remember. On page 21 it talks about the "Jaeger M1 Safety". I know I have never seen one of these before. Curious does anyone know about these, have a rifle with one on it, or how it functioned? I would be interested in learning more. Thanks

I got one in a parts grouping a couple of years ago. I have not put it on a rifle yet. It seems to be a three position safety

above is the fire position,

above is on safe.

In the above position, I believe that the bolt can be operated but the firing pin cannot move forward.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.