May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, oskar, j7l2, MattH, Hoot4570, 1 invisible), 226 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,033
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

A wall hanger Purdey has value of about $1830; BV1-OQ1-CC9.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
A wall hanger Purdey has value of about $1830; BV1-OQ1-CC9.

DDA

I think those numbers are changing, perhaps more quickly than we imagine. The post on the reproofed English boxlock, that was worth 200 English pounds or so, in olde Blighty, was alarming.

Best,
Ted

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has been like that for years in the UK Ted. Very little demand for non ejector side by sides. It is only slightly better demand wise on thus side of the pond.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

The market is now punishing those who hoarded good guns on the pretext of "collecting". Hoarding kept the prices artificially high for decades. It also prevented new shooters from getting to know the virtues of good doubles, they just could not afford them. So they opted for autos which have advanced, offering customising features. In Europe now you can buy top name Italian autos with stock shims, chokes and interchangeabl beads, cased for less than 1000 Euro new. It is the standard by which other options are judged.

I have friends who hoarded dozens of top doubles. Most of them shoot autos by the way.I cannot say I feel sorry for them now when they are trying to unload their "collections" and no young shooter wants them. How can you convince anyone to buy your Fabbris when you yourself shoot a Benelli Rafaello!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked into buying used guns, in France, and bringing them here to sell, circa 1997 or so. It wasnt doable. Run of the mill Charlin and Darne guns were 3K. Nobody was going to buy them for that, here. Run of the mill boxlocks, sans ejectors, were most of 1K. Those numbers were skewed a bit, I think, due to the fact it was really only pretty wealthy people who seemed to be able to hunt, regularly, in France.
I believe that has changed, as well. Looking at French gun seller websites, everything has come down in price. It seems it is often just family members trying to unload some now dead ancestors pride and joy.
My kid, will be shooting his trap league this year with an O/U. But, I think he is the only one. He is looking forward to using the gun because it was his grandfathers, not for any love of blued steel and walnut, that I can discern, but, time will tell.
Most of the kids have a black pump or auto. The club rental guns are the same thing.
Chris has been pestering me to shoot the gun since I gave him custody of the Beretta on New Years Day. We will try today. The weather has been awful, and he is excited to try.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, it is not only in France, the situation is similar in Italy and Spain. The Italian site Armi Usate has many bargain priced SOs and the like.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a period of time, 10 years or so ago, when the Spanish government levied new taxes on gun ownership, and many were just dumped, here. The price of everything Spanish suffered as a result. I bought a clean Firearms Imports labeled Uggy boxlock for $400. It did not come from Spain when the tax was levied, but, became cheap as a direct result of it.
I think the decline of the Spanish gun market, including the wholesale shuttering of their domestic builders, began to happen in earnest with that tax. Since the social engineers had to realize the tax would never provide either a steady or increasing source of revenue, it always made me wonder if that was their goal, or, if it was just another (successful, by the way) method of disarming a population?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The European firearms regulations have an ostensible goal, ie to regulate the trade, but also tangible side effects that directly and I believe intentionally hurt that trade. As for instance the need for export and import licences when sending an already licensed and registered shotgun to the makers for warranty work. It needs FOUR licences to make the round trip, two export two imposrt licences. Each one takes weeks to obtain and the costs can climb to hundreds of Euro.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 02/22/20 03:24 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.