Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

This article Sleeving provides a rationale for sleeving. You may not agree with it, but it is the reason sleeving was done.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KDGJ
Ted,

This article Sleeving provides a rationale for sleeving. You may not agree with it, but it is the reason sleeving was done.

Ken

Your link leads back to the last conversation we had on sleeving. Incidentally, I read the article you meant to link to. It was by a gun seller who offers this form of repair, and, the point was very clearly made that it usually is not cost effective.

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/twenty-first-century-sleeving

This was what you meant to link to. My opinion hasnt changed since I read it, long before either of these conversations.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Between a SXS with original mint damascus barrels and an identical one sleeved with Boehler Super Blitz tubes by an experienced craftsman, I would opt for the sleeved one. Objectively it is the better gun.

Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I have owned sleeved guns that were excellent but bought them knowing I was paying less and would likely get less when I sell. If I knew I was going to keep a gun forever, I would have no problem with a well done sleeved gun. I am wrestling with a gun I'd like to buy, but not knowing if I'll want to keep it long term, have to think ahead to what happens if and when I want to sell.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Of late, I would say that isnt just a consideration with sleeved guns. Many excellent doubles linger on used gun racks, especially 12 gauge versions. Buyers are a fickle lot, and Ive both heard and said this is my last good gun only to be dismayed when it didnt turn out that way. In the case of a sleeved gun, there is the possibility you will be buried with it, and not because you requested that.

The choice of a gun to purchase never comes down to just two examples, and never to just a Damascus and a sleeved example. Keep looking. Unmodified, and in-proof will be points more important at the time of sale than what tubes were used at the time of sleeving.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: KDGJ
Ted,

Ken

Your link leads back to the last conversation we had on sleeving. Incidentally, I read the article you meant to link to. It was by a gun seller who offers this form of repair, and, the point was very clearly made that it usually is not cost effective.

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/twenty-first-century-sleeving

This was what you meant to link to. My opinion hasnt changed since I read it, long before either of these conversations.

Best,
Ted

Thanks Ted for fixing the link. I'm not sure it linked back to the original thread. I agree sleeving is not cost effective on when it costs more than the gun is worth. However, no repairs are worth more than the gun is worth.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
" Just a hunter" ? whistle

SRH

I am just a hunter

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it not true that sleeving has put many a gun back in the field as opposed to just being a wall decoration?
What is a best gun truelly worth if it can only hang on a wall and is unshootable?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ksauers1
Is it not true that sleeving has put many a gun back in the field as opposed to just being a wall decoration?
What is a best gun truelly worth if it can only hang on a wall and is unshootable?

Whatever the market will bear.

Im not concerned about saving guns that are unsuitable for use without drastic repair methods. We live in a era when sellers like SKB struggle to get $1200 for a between the wars, long barreled, in proof, English boxlock, that simply needs to be hunted, not fixed.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Added an edit to note the barrels were original, not sleeved when I bought it and I just happened to know it was OE of pigeon configuration.

IMO, sleeving (good job commensurate with gun's OQ grade) will take a gun to Current Condition level six (CC6). It takes a pretty good gun to make this a financial break-even adventure (the cost of sleeving is more or less fixed but becomes a lower % of value as the OQ goes up).

One man's experience:
I had a London auction cheapo BLE with baaaaad barrels (30" cut to 26" and honed to "thin") - a good candidate for sleeving. The redeeming features were cheap price, good action, good stock, and "James Woodward and Sons" engraved on the sides. Oh, yes, the one and only BLE Pigeon style JW made (1946). Could I get my money back out of it? Not likely. But then I don't plan to try.

So how did that work out? I have no regrets and love the gun. It came to me within tolerances of my specs for weight, balance, unmounted swing effort and mounted swing effort. Stock dimensions need a wee bit of bending for cast-off. Thank you Toby Barclay.

Dig Hadoke theorized that a bespoke equivalent best work gun can be had for some $20K by buying a good SLE action but ratted out barrels and stock. Replace barrels with new ones to your spec. and restock to your dimensions. VIOLA! A virtually new bespoke best work gun. The above was a first test of this theory - keep it cheap and gain some real world experience.

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 02/21/20 11:26 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.