May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (ClapperZapper, skeettx, SKB, Marks_21, AGS, 1 invisible), 856 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,387
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The beeper sounds good, though, deaf as I am, it may not work as well as it would for others.

thanks for the note, I will check it out.

I don't really need GPS. I have a friend that has them and I do like what I see, but it's really not what I need. I do like the looks of the Garmin Sport Pro which is not a GPS unit. The ergonomics look very good good and has a LED light that we would find useful in other applications.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

Brent,
Because someone here did something nice for me, I can do something nice for you.

I have a Sport dog 375? System With all its support materials, I can send to you to try.
Watch the dvd, etc, charge it, try it out.

Just return it when you are done evaluating the system.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ClapperZapper,
That is an amazing offer that I cannot refuse. Thank you very much! I will send you a PM shortly.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Steve Snell's Gun Dog Supply is fast on delivery and can answer any questions often quicker than Garmin's customer service. On my old Astro 320 gps system I was having trouble in the woods with it and got them on the phone and resolved the problem in the nick of time. Gil

This. All of this x1000

Purchased my Garmin Alpha through Lion Country several years back. The next year wanted a second charging cable system as a backup which consists of several cables. Gun Dog Supply was the only ones that had them in stock so ordered from them and one of the cables was the wrong one. They shipped my order out but Steve's wife realized that I ordered a wrong cable for the system. She called me and told me that she was sending the correct cable and a return label for the one I ordered in error. BS I was the one that screwed up so sent it back paying shipping and included a $20 bill in the box for my mistake and their trouble. And she called me every day until I got it to make sure it worked correctly. Doubt they made more than a couple of dollars on my order for the stupid cables and I screwed it up yet they treated me like I placed the largest order they ever had. And they sent me the $20 bill back in an envelope. When it comes to customer service there is Steve and his family. And then down the food chain there is everyone else. I only use Gun Dog Supply now.

I've had good luck with Dogtra collars and my first one lasted 11 years. Have hunted flushers, Nova Scotia Duck Tollers for upland for the last 30 years. When it failed I went with the 2 dog Dogtra collar system because knew I was getting a younger dog. And primarily always used the vibration feature with my Tollers. Worked out well in the end when they get deaf they would always check in with me. And I don't like any noise when I am hunting it is a good way to clear a field of phez in SD. But first hunting dog was a Ryman English Setter 40 years ago so took in a Lew Setter rescue dog ~5 years ago because I missed the beauty of the point. However he was a big runner which is not good in high density wolf population areas that I hunt, and like most ES not so great on the retrieve (Truth LOL) and that is how I ended with a GPS tracking collar. After 6 months he went down the road and I went back to my Tollers.

Now I will not put a dog on the ground without a GPS collar.

The Garmin Alpha has vibration which is what I use the most for stim correction. And the Garmin systems has the benefit that it will work with their watches and you can make it as simple or complex as you want.

I have no experience outside of the Dogtra and Garmin systems. You have a pretty decent offer from someone on here that I think you should also look at.

Good luck and good shooting.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Cold Iron,
I'm with you about service, and that is definitely above and beyond the call.

And I would pay good money to watch tollers hunt pheasants. I have only seen a tiny handful of tollers and they weren't hunters.

I don't remember where we got the original Dogtra but we later bought another collar and then had to replace the transmitter because I lost it. The local non-chain shop helped with the latter, and I would like to support them but I will look at for the right model for us first. Sounds like there are some really wonderful options to do business with no matter what I choose.

In the meantime, I am definitely going to take up ClapperZapper on his all too generous offer!

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at what the pros use. Field Trailer's have abandoned Tri-tronics/Garmin in favour of Dogtra first then Sport Dog second.

My first collar was a Dogtra 20 years ago. All my cursing and cussing wouldn't make it work. They've come a long way since then.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've spent the evening looking at the Garmin Videos at Gun Dog Supply. They are pretty darn helpful and useful.

My old Dogtra -probably 10ish years old, is the model 1820. I have cursed it for the entire time we have had it. But in looking at the new models, I see pretty much everything has changed.

Someone on another forum said there really isn't a bad one out there. I'm tending to agree. Just matching features with what I need/want.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Sport Dog, has vibrate (never used it) and tone. I leave it on tone because I can actually find the dog on point, get my ducks in a row, and hitting the beep will send the bird airborne. The beep is mostly inaudible to me. My dog wears a sleigh bell that is 100 years old for me to locate her. Have considered GPS, but, only had a time or two in seven years I could have used it. This is a big running Setter, but, under control, mostly. Yelling is more colorful, anyway.
Very little shock used since I got it, but, not sure I could have trained this dog without a collar. The antenna (internal) on the collar broke, I soldered it and got 8-10 more months out of it, but, it was outside of warranty and I was able to buy just a collar. They dont repair them.
Been very happy with it. Only one Ive ever used.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Cold Iron,
I'm with you about service, and that is definitely above and beyond the call.

And I would pay good money to watch tollers hunt pheasants. I have only seen a tiny handful of tollers and they weren't hunters.

I don't remember where we got the original Dogtra but we later bought another collar and then had to replace the transmitter because I lost it. The local non-chain shop helped with the latter, and I would like to support them but I will look at for the right model for us first. Sounds like there are some really wonderful options to do business with no matter what I choose.

In the meantime, I am definitely going to take up ClapperZapper on his all too generous offer!

Needs analysis, yeah you should definitely take him up on his offer...

You don't have to pay good money to watch a Toller hunt pheasant. I would be willing to show you

I met Dale who owns Chase the Adventure down in Decorah, Iowa in Church at divorce class here a decade ago. I train down there when I feel the need to with Dale. Not sure where you are at.

I am a meat hunter and go out to kill birds. When the AKC finally recognized the NSDTR we all were worried that they would ruin the breed like so many. But they have not apparently they realized they screwed up in the past. When my current Toller was less then a year old he was the only Toller to receive the BRT.

But I knew the breeder from the NSDTR backyard classic more than 20 years ago. She had breed Goldens but gave up on them because of health issues, she is from ND. And gave up on Goldens and switched to Tollers with a passion for hunting pheasant.

Most all Tollers are hunters. Not sure where you live in Iowa but if you want to see a hunter it can be arranged. My pleasure! No charge either :-)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CI, I live just outside of Story City, a long ways from Decorah. I've only seen about 4-5 tollers in my life and I'm guessing that some were not pure tollers. I don't know much about them but what I hear makes them sound pretty cool to me. The idea of hunting ducks along the shore with one just sounds incredible.

There are goldens and then there are goldens. I am sure much is the same for tollers and most working and sporting breeds. I found the right people with the right dogs. But it takes some arm twisting and $ to get one that I will never compete with. We are just bird hunters and we do it a lot.

I don't really need the GPS -or so I think. But that wrist watch system you have is darn slick. Out in the cattails or in the Indian grass and big bluestem where Gus can disappear at my knees, that would be pretty helpful. We always have moments where we really don't know where who is. Usually that is pretty short lived however. Usually.

There will be another pup someday. Probably sooner than later. Plus my wife's dog. So needs will fluctuate.

Last edited by BrentD; 02/05/20 11:35 PM.

_________

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.