April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (rwarren, FelixD, 2 invisible), 1,129 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,853
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck in your efforts to return your new/old Lefever to the field. If I can be of assistance in helping to maintain proper function and originality, let me know. There are some other very knowledgeable Lefever guys like Miller who are also always willing to help save a Lefever. They are quality guns that are worthy of saving to pass on to future generations.

I saw your request for a replacement cocking rod in the DIY Gunsmithing forum. If your gun is indeed an 1899 gun, it isn't at all likely to be a rod cocker. Cocking rods were only used from around 1884 to 1890, and subsequent guns utilized a few different types of cocking hooks. It might help you a lot if you posted a picture of your broken part.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #564472 02/05/20 09:52 AM
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You are right and I have posted a photo of the offending Lefever part in the original forum post. I will put it here also.

Not being familiar with the Lefever parts jargon, I labeled this a cocking rod as it does cock the hammers. I should have thought it might be confusing with the earlier Lefever model.

What do Lefever folks call this cocking rod? This only other descriptive name I could come up with would be cocking pin?

Interesting that the right hammer cocked as long as the broken key was captured in the hammer slot and sideplate. Looking at the material construction of this part I wonder how many other Lefever models have a similar problem only to remain undetected unless completely stripped for cleaning.

If I can find an original part replacement in sound condition I would prefer that to making a new part, even though a new part would be much superior as this would keep the gun with all period parts. If you can help locate one I would appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always heard them referred to as a cocking axle. However, Gun Parts Corp., aka Numrich Arms has one in stock, and they call it a hammer pin.

The SKU # is 1576740 and the price is a very reasonable $7.00
Considering that small cost for an original part, it is hardly worth the effort to machine a new one.

I have never seen this part break. The part is directional, and if I remember correctly, the X on one end should be oriented toward the right side. I can double check that before you install it if you want.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for certain. When I checked at GPC I overlooked and did not see this part. Thank you for alerting me. It is now on its way to me.
Cocking axle is certainly the best descriptive label for this part. I will post photos on the restoration project as I go along.

Question: The firing pins are free floating without any means of retracting from the breech face holes. Did LeFever ever add rebound springs in this model? Again thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith is correct, the marked end of the hammer axle goes to the right. I seem to recall that most of mine have a single line across the end rather than an X, but either mark goes to the right.

I just addressed the rebound spring in another thread, higher up on the forum.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you. The hammer pin is to arrive on Monday. I will post a photo when it arrives.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have the hammer pin and it does have a single line on one end. Check my question posted on the general form. I need advice on fitting the new pin to my hammers and cocking hook.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hammer pin from GPC not correct as it was too short. +1.211 and should be +1.291. GPC has no clue. They just respond a hammer pin is a hammer pin. Still looking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a guess, but it sounds like the cocking or hammer pin you received possibly came from a 16 or 20 gauge small frame gun. The small frames have an XX stamp on the water table opposite the serial number and grade stamp. It does make sense that the dimensions of this part would differ, since the firing pin spacing is obviously less in the smaller gauge guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 16 gauge H built on the XX frame. The width of the frame is narrower than on any of my 12 gauge guns which weigh from 6˝ to 8 bs. The 6˝ lb 12 is not built on the XX frame although it is Ľ lb lighter than my 16 @ 6 3/4 lbs.

I highly suspect that Keith is correct that the pin in question was from an XX frame gun.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.