Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 46 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 45 46
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Ted, I assume you have lots of greys, but I don't know exactly where you are at. Somehow I associate you with Anoka, but I don't know where I dreamed that up from.

Lots of grays is an understatement. Yes, Anoka county, but, I seldom, if ever hunted squirrels in Anoka county, Sherburn and Mil Lacs county, mostly, with some forays into Kannebec and parts south of the greater metro.

Minnesota got the first and most of the Hmong boat people, who were perfectly happy to hunt small game with little regard for the laws until a major effort was put into teaching those laws. I do believe there was perhaps a decade that put extreme pressure on all furred small game species around and in the Metro. A side note, the Hmong initially encountered Destroying Angel mushrooms, and, until the word got out not to eat the mushrooms that looked just like the ones back home, we would see stories of Hmong families that needed three, or four, or five liver transplants after a meal. I would bet the last time I read one of those stories was about the time I saw the last fox squirrel.

I have often wondered why the fox squirrels never seemed to bounce back. The bunnies cycle up and down, just like always, the greys are at nuisance level, most of the time, and the fox squirrels are gone.
The little red squirrels are here as well. Not as many as greys, a good thing.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Havent seen a fox squirrel in years.

Best,
Ted

I guess they're too Foxey for you Ted considering their brain is as big a peanut....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to hunt deer in Anoka - long before your time I suppose.

Not sure what the mushroom sort was about but western squirrels I know love some of the most toxic of the Amanita mushrooms.

Reds may have some say in the fox's disappearance, but more likely it is due to habitat change. The world does not stand still, even for squirrels.

Reds are pushing into northern Indiana and others are being pushed out.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I don't shoot my Fox squirrels on my place either although I enjoy eating the grays. One of my boys came across and ad somewhere that a northern guy wanted to shoot a southern fox squirrel and would pay $1,000 for the privilege.

Little George asked me and I told him Heck Yeah! Partiality is one thing but a thousand bucks of greenback northern money will trump it every day...Geo

Damn. Barnum was right when he said "There's a sucker born every minute". Sounds like above the Mason Dixon line it may be more often than that. Maybe that's part of the answer to low cotton prices.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
I used to hunt deer in Anoka - long before your time I suppose.

Lived here since 1968. Yes, the habitat has changed. But, I would have guessed if the greys can do well, you would at least see some fox squirrels.

The mushroom story just details that the Hmong had some things to learn on this side of planet earth. They were excellent, if lawless, small game hunters when they arrived, to be expected of a people who did the same thing for subsistence where they came from. Of course, now ed and bill will likely call me racist, ignoring the fact I am an honorary member of the Vang green clan.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Favorite pic of our season!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I lived in New Brighton from 59 to 73. Greys are all I remember. No reds or foxes in the timber behind the house.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

RA,
Fantastic photo, looks like the dog really has something nailed!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Hmong did a good job helping us hunt the VC and sacrificed a lot for us. As far as I'm concerned, they can have my share of the Greys.
Mike

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pic Rick!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 38 of 46 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.