April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Karl Graebner, campero, ClapperZapper, Fudd, 1 invisible), 968 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,181
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 46 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 45 46
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sling looks like it is modeled off a bretelle Darne.

Nice pic.

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, it's the Gamekeeper sling by CSMC. The attachment to the stock is via buckled straps. Not as elegant as the Darne, but it serves its purpose. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

No pics, but we shot doves the last two afternoons, in anticipation of the looming seven month "dry spell". Tough going this time of year. Hard to scratch out a limit some days. I bagged 6 Wednesday and 7 yesterday. Interesting thing happened yesterday.

We were shooting an old sunflower field that was sparse as far as cover goes. What's left of the stalks are only about three feet tall, no weeds or brush to get in. I was in full, appropriate pattern camo, including gloves and full mask. I set up the Mojo on an 11 ft. tall pole about 20 yds. away and clipped some inactive decoys on top of a few stalks around it. The setup really looked good. Nothing that I could see to spook them.

As soon as some big droves started flying I realized something in my setup was flaring them, from as far as 200 yards away. I thought that maybe they had gotten "Mojo shy", tho' I'd never seen that before. I took the Mojo down .......no dice. They still skirted me, out of range, from all directions. Finally, about an hour before the end of the shoot I got off my stool, folded it down, and crouched on my knees, putting my silhouette a good two feet lower in the sunflower stalks. Bingo! They began passing within range of me.

My silhouette was just too obvious, even though I was in full camo and motionless, and those wary old birds just weren't having any of it. If I had just figured that out a couple hours earlier I could have probably limited out. Oh well, still had fun and learned something I hope I can remember.

Looks like a washout this afternoon which is the last day, due to rain, but we'll see.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/4TB4xytXzkgkC8Ne8[/img]
A brace of red jungle fowl cocks and a bar-in-wood hammer Purdey.

The gun is not in the best of shape but it it still locks up tight, and I take it out every year since I've had it at the beginning of the season a time or two.

Thirty or so years ago a gentleman I slightly knew turned up to a Skeet competition with this gun. He shot pretty well with it and at some point I asked if I could handle it. He let me do so and I brazenly asked him if he would sell the gun. He said he would not but if he ever did it would be mine.

One morning, four years ago, my friend the gunsmith called me and asked me to visit his shop as there was a gun for me. I duly turned up and was handed the Purdey and told to complete the paper work at the shop so I could leave with it.

I expressed my surprise that the gentleman was selling it and asked how much I had to pay. My friend told me that the gentleman had called him last night just before he left for the hospital. He told my friend that he should take the gun and transfer it to me immediately. He handed over all the necessary authorisations to do so. I looked the question and my friend the gunsmith informed me in a quiet voice that the gentleman had passed away that morning.

Bar in Wood J Purdey with 30 inch barrels, 2 1/2 inch chambers, finished in December 1899, originally built for Sir Bradford Eden ICS. Said Eden was once chief secretary of Bengal back in the day of the Brits.

All the best

Skeeterbd

PS. I don't know if the image shows as an image or a link. If the latter, I would be truly grateful if some kind soul could make it show as an image. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeeterbrd, please post more pictures of that gun if you get a chance. Amazing story of how you came by it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, more pictures of that gun and those birds too. And maybe a little bit about how you hunt them. Nice to see something so different.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan S W
Thanks for posting the pic.
All the best
Skeeterbd

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dan S. W.
Skeeterbrd, please post more pictures of that gun if you get a chance. Amazing story of how you came by it.

Believe it or not GA stocked red jungle fowl along the Ocmulgee river as a hoped for pheasant substitute. It didn't work out. The citizens of Fitzgerald, GA adopted the confused stocked birds and made them the official city bird. Whenever I drive through there I detour through the residential neighborhoods just to admire the wild chickens...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I assume that these birds are more like grouse than pheasant for habitat anyway. Will they hold a point and then flush? I bet they are tasty.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful story, Skeeterbd, and great pics. Thanks.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 36 of 46 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.