April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wild Skies, barrel browner), 443 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,200
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Schuknecht gives the GM was the inventor of the Beast - >>Clamshell / Muschel-Verschluss / Stabil-Verschluss Action <<(If I read it correctly)?

>>The next to last guns shown in the photo gallery in our archive is a double rifle made by the Heym Company in Suhl.The guns with the “Clamshell Action” (Muschel Verschluss or Stabil Verschluss) could have been made by several makers, among them Robert Schüler (RS) in Suhl, the inventor, Gebrüder Merkel (GM) in Suhl, Oskar Merkel in Suhl (Merco) and Bernhard Merkel in Suhl (Bemesu). All were of best quality and some had the maker’s mark that is shown above after their name on the underside of the barrels.Foerster guns are now very desirable to gun collectors and bring very high prices when sold by good auctioneers like Julia in Maine.<<

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/about-the-makers/gun-makers-dealers-f-j/
scroll down to Foerster.....

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Somewhat similar to a Greener except they come in from both sides.

I would have to dig, but I believe that is some variant of the novel addition by Frederick J. Abby which found protection under U.S. of A. Patent Nr. 114,081 of 1871. I think even Greener commented that Rigby adopted and improved the contrivance or George Thackeray Abbey's contribution which found protection under U.S. of A. Patent Nr. 87,814 of 1869?

Per the website, are we sure that the adornment is that of Kornbrath? With the menacing muzzle / crosshatching of the muzzle, I'd say that that adornment points to a mechanic in Suhl?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Abbey patent model, Abbey patent , Abbey patent gun. Actually Foster and Abbey patent. Their rising bite was about 10 years before the Rigby Bissell.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 01/31/20 09:38 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely post Mr. Hallquist. Many thanks for indulging me. Any comment on the Kornbrath engraving?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also with those >>Cat Eyes<<, I would hazard a guess that the ejectors are of the Deeley Box platform. All wrapped up, this may point to some involvement by the remnants of Schoverling, Daly & Gales in the sourcing for Flues?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, the engraving, although I cannot say for sure, looks like something Kornbrath would do. I do believe other Flues guns have been attributed to Kornbrath, and I think the Kornbrath files in Cody show some Flues guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, has anyone seen Kornbrath work where he added crosshatching to a muzzle? Is anyone of the opinion that Kornbrath performed the tap, tap, tap on this muzzle?

I have serious reservations that Kornbrath added that to a longarm/ w/ an English stock sold in the U.S. of A.?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB, I think it's Kersten, ( not that I give a toss smile but I have seen them on German guns, , I thought some had rectangular through bolts, but I think now it's just the shape of the protruding bolts that is rectangular, & not the "Hole",
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Although for the moment I'm not hung on any certain bolting system, but look how wide those side bars are in the Doll's Head Well and there doesn't appear to be a pathway for them to move left or right? Does the top rib extension have a portal thru it? And too, look @ that large radius @ the standing breech - water-table interface. Below that is a lot of >>Banjo Work<< that accomplishes something. Last there are those circular protrusions below the strikers?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

SKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I believe you are correct. Looks as those those locking bars move vertically. I failed to notice that earlier. I too wonder about the circles on the breech. That would be an interesting gun to disassemble.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.