April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Der Ami, Ian Forrester, Karl Graebner, ClapperZapper, graybeardtmm3, bushveld), 1,090 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 46 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 45 46
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 67galaxie
Nice! What kind of boat is that?

Duralumin Ducker, maybe? Built from surplus aircraft aluminum for a while after WW-2. Both Lund and Alumacraft made them...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 01/29/20 05:04 PM. Reason: added final sentence
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Alumacraft Ducker. 64 lbs and slides over cattails and bulrushes like a dream and floats in 4" of water. See recent thread on Photobucket.

Tundras usually run 16-18 lbs. Meat is far better than any goose.
Much harder to bag one around here these days as our lakes got too deep and destroyed their traditional food supply....tubers of sago pondweed. Easy to kill because of that long neck. Just one pellet there is all it takes. I use 1's to increase the odds. Very easy to decoy. Do not try to pluck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hal
Do not try to pluck!

So, how do you dress one, Hal? Breast it out?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pic of Tundra Swans in late Oct.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like Iowa prairie potholes, but ours would have Trumpeters. Last fall, on a wetland maybe a little bit smaller than the one in Hal's photo and there were 50 Trumpeters on it. I looked them up and they can run 30 lbs. A turkey (big turkey) on the wing I guess.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hal, can you get a retriever in and out of one of those boats easily?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hal
....Easy to kill because of that long neck. Just one pellet there is all it takes. I use 1's to increase the odds. Very easy to decoy....

Boy, don't I wish. I've been able to hunt them three times in a permit zone. One hunt shut down with an overnight hard freeze. The other two times, I peppered a couple really nice ones and they lumbered off looking like they were just fine.

On of the neatest field pictures in my mind was watching a really big raft of mixed waterfowl getting slowly pushed by the wind. A buddy and I gave up regular shots and waited a good couple of hours while the pile was pushed towards our shore. They did start getting skittish, so I took a swat at a swan picking up off the water at about thirty fiveish maybe forty yards, nuth'in. So, I switched to a Mallard and got him before everything skooted out. I haven't put in for a tag for a few season, but maybe next fall.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I skin them Stan, leaving on the legs, but removing the wings.
Would really like to bag a Trumpeter. A few have moved in to eastern ND from MN where they are released to help reduce numbers of giant Canadas.

Because the Ducker is so stable, (a big person can sit on the gunnel and it won't flip) dogs are easily broght in by grabbing their collar. I have not built a ramp, but might need to now that I am using a svelte 103 lb GWP Griffon type that brings a ton of water with him. I really miss my Viszlas for boat hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen some big Griff, but NOTHING close to 103# They aren't really supposed to be even as big as a lab or a golden as I understand it. But cool dogs they are. Crazy eyes they have.

I'm thinking I need a duck boat for retirement.

_________

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I went today with the MuttPak.  Floyd and his daughter went fishing.  I went deeper into the woods than we went Tuesday and found three birds.  Only got two good points and missed the shots.  Decided to hit the Brier Patch and get as Marellus Wallace said, "medieval" with the birds and geared up with my industrial grade brier gear.  To mix movie quotes, the woodcock met "medieval" by going to the 
"mattresses" in the briers with me.  In the Brier Patch, the dogs found 5 birds with solid points and I could only connect with one that I could get to.   See Book of Woodcock Hunter's Lousy Excuses, chapter 5, on why I either missed or failed to shoot.  I had initially thought about today being the season's end for me.  I am considering going in the rain tomorrow as early December, 2020, is a little too far off to chase these birds when I can go tomorrow.  

Page 35 of 46 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.