April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (David Williamson), 189 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats basically the same conclusion I arrived at. Even with working barrels it is way too heavy and the stock, though beautiful, has way too much drop. Its just been a pretty wall hanger since I got it 25 years ago. [/quote]

Dont give up, Ted is right another set of barrels can be found rather cheaply. [/quote]

Maybe a stupid question, but how interchangeable are Parker barrels off same size frames of the same gauge?

Last edited by Glacierjohn; 01/27/20 02:57 PM.
ed good #563724 01/27/20 04:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You will need a good gunsmith to fit them. But, it has been done lots of times prior to you.
I get the family linkage thing, but, again, you have already pointed out the guns shortcomings, which have to do more with the age and condition of the gun than anything else.

Wallhangers have their place.

Best,
Ted

ed good #563726 01/27/20 04:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
well ted, much of watt you post here is "short on facts"...

Really, ed? So, what part of that tired old English sleever that you wanted top buck for was I wrong about? The blue was perfect? How bout the checkering? Like new? Stock finish was the bomb?
You have no concept what a swamped rib is, either, ed, and there is absolutely no connection between that roach gun you posted, and France, much as youd like to differ.

Your fishing expedition started at $2100. Those days are over, ed. I bet the price I threw out is really, really, close when the check comes in the mail.

Good luck finding a mark.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
You will need a good gunsmith to fit them. But, it has been done lots of times prior to you.
I get the family linkage thing, but, again, you have already pointed out the guns shortcomings, which have to do more with the age and condition of the gun than anything else.

Best,
Ted

Im seventy, I realize Ill never recoup a dollar of money spent on this gun, but that doesnt matter to me. If I can pass this heirloom down to a family member who will occasionally shoot it and maybe pass it on to his kid, thats a win to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Glacierjohn

Best,
Ted

Im seventy, I realize Ill never recoup a dollar of money spent on this gun, but that doesnt matter to me. If I can pass this heirloom down to a family member who will occasionally shoot it and maybe pass it on to his kid, thats a win to me.

Well, that isnt all bad. Good luck with the project.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Good attempt at not answering, but not good enough. 20K was just a nice round figure, make that ANY pressure you like, suit yourself.

The actual question was, if you sleeve the original chamber, what will be the difference in how much pressure it will hold. For that matter how much difference will there be in the amount of pressure required to Bulge a chamber assuming one of chopper lump & the other of mono-block construction, both having equal wall thicknesses.

It appears to me you are trying to condemn sleeving on a safety factor, If this is correct I would like to see factual figures which bear this pout.

20K may be a nice round number, but it ignores the reality of proof pressures. Standard English proof is 850 BAR, or, roughly, 12,328PSI. Note that there are a substantial number of old English guns, sleeved and otherwise, that are failing proof at this level. This has been going on since the proof house revised and updated their work to be totally in compliance with the most recent Brussels Convention.

There is a higher level of proof available, 1100BAR, but, Im not sure how often it is specified and if people regularly subject older double guns to it. This is roughly equivalent to 15954PSI.

The only safety connection I have tried to raise is that sleeved barrels are rejected for reproof in France. France never found itself outside the rules from the Brussels Convention, and, standard proof, about all that is left today, is 1250BAR. That is around 18,000psi. As to whether this is a concern or not is likely up to the user of a sleeved gun.
As noted, I am not that guy. But, I based that decision on what I have seen, and, there was a lot more bad sleeving then good when I was looking at English guns of a certain age. I dont do that anymore. The English thing is completely behind me, for reasons other than sleeving, by the way.

I have never been tempted by a sleeved gun.

Do you honestly believe that we can compare a monoblock and a set of chopperlump trousers, without regard to age or identity of steel, or identity of method used to construct the trousers, and come to a meaningful comparison of anything, based just on the comparison of the dimensions of each?

I have my doubts. You, can believe anything you want.

Do, however, indulge me, if you would. Is there a reason, in your opinion, to seek out a sleeved gun of any make, that goes beyond it being cheap, or, other guys own them?

Because, I havent seen a reason that goes beyond those two.

Best,
Ted

Ted; have never owned a sleeved gun & at this point in my life, it is extremely unlikely I ever will. I just feel like you are talking emotions & personal likes & dislikes rather than actual facts. Certainly, the steel, as well as dimensions, have to be considered. "IF" the barrel is a very early one barreled with low carbon steel & the sleeve is made of a higher alloy with greater strength then the barrel could indeed gain in strength over the original. If the French refuse to proof a sleeved barrel, that's their problem, not mine. As to the British guns failing proof, my understanding is this applies equally to all older British game guns, not just sleeved ones. The problem is I believe they are being subjected to a higher level of proof than they were ever intended to carry.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
ed good #563742 01/27/20 08:27 PM
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ted, much of what you post here, in this thread, is short on facts...and has little to do with the topic, which is sleeved barrels...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
ed good #563745 01/27/20 08:51 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,
I have pointed out at least twice that it is not only sleeved guns that are failing English proof. Id just as soon find a gun that doesnt have a reason to go through the proof process, again,wouldnt you?
I find it curious that you dont concern yourself with the proof laws of a country that never found itself outside of the Brussels Convention. Did you ever consider that perhaps there was a good reason or two that sleeved guns dont get past the view phase of a proof inspection in France?
Pretty much my point is if you are in the market for a double gun, figure out where you are on the food chain of guns, and buy the best example you possibly can.
I believe you can always do better than a sleeved example. An example of an in original condition and proof gun will be the better buy, even if it costs more.

Best,
Ted

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

if you are in the market for a double gun, figure out where you are on the food chain of guns, and buy the best example you possibly can.

Some of the best advice you will find regarding gun shopping, sleeved guns or otherwise. Well put Ted.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.