March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, FlyChamps, cpa, Dan S. W., Ken Nelson, 1 invisible), 807 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#563661 01/26/20 04:16 PM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I like to make things, I've always thought sights were cool. I've wanted a Lyman 35 sight, but the prices that they go for are often more than I've paid for a lot of the rifles I own. But a couple of years ago, I found a couple of parts groupings on ebay. They must have come from someone that worked at Lyman, some of the parts weren't finished. But in one of the parts grouping was a base for a Lyman 35 sight. These bases fit over the bolt stop and require no drilling of the receiver, though they do require some removal of wood just below the bolt stop. Anyway, using the parts that I had and making my own parts. Here is what I have

I designed a different slide that allows the sight to be mounted on scoped rifle without having to remove the slide, by elevating the slide the bolt stop can still be manipulated.

I, also, made some bases and slides, these are quite a bit simpler than the Lyman 35 base and resemble the Lyman 36 sights.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is cool. I want a Lyman 35 but they just cost too much. I paid dearly for a Lyman 36 for an M-S carbine a few years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc,
Good Show.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeee Hawwww
Well done
Thank you for sharing
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hammergun
That is cool. I want a Lyman 35 but they just cost too much. I paid dearly for a Lyman 36 for an M-S carbine a few years ago.

I feel the same way, the parts collection that I got had a lot of parts for Lyman 36 sights. I was able to use some of the parts and make whatever additional parts I needed to make sights for a couple of project rifles.

The top action is a 1904 Verguiero action, it combines features of both Mauser and Mannlicher rifles. The bottom action is a Greek Mannlicher action.

Both actions have a split rear bridge and require the aperture to pivot as the action is worked.

Below are closeups of each sight, neither are quite complete, but are close.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is some great work. I might try making a sight from parts. I've gotta wait until the shop is done at the new place. You have inspired me.

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hammergun
That is some great work. I might try making a sight from parts. I've gotta wait until the shop is done at the new place. You have inspired me.

Thanks for the compliment, if you let me know what you are working on, I will look and see if I have any parts that might help you.

When I am making things, I think of the wise words of my Uncle Pete.
He said "if you are going to make one of something, make five, chances are that besides the one you want, you might screw one up, have a friend that wants one, would like to sell one, and want one to keep as a model in case you do thing again."

Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc,
I can see I would like your Uncle Pete, you "done good" listening to him.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks PhysDoc. I'll let you know.

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
PhysDoc,
I can see I would like your Uncle Pete, you "done good" listening to him.
Mike

Thanks Mike,

I am sure you would, he is a good man, I am fortunate to have him as my uncle.

Getting back to sights, I had a problem that had been vexing me. I won the base of a Lyman 22 sight on ebay in a collection of parts several years ago. The Lyman 22 is the predecessor of the Lyman 36 and was made for sporters made on the 88 action. A friend has one to that is also missing some of the same parts. So I made parts for mine and his.

On the top left, you see all the parts that go into the base. On the bottom you see my completed sight. On thing that I found hardest was making what I call the stem. The final procedure was to take a 1/4 socket head bolt and drill a 1/8 hole along the axis. Then I made a holder, that is shown in the upper right. It is a piece of 3/4" round stock, first drilled through with a 1/4 clearance drill, then a 5/16" slot was milled along a portion of the axis. When the bolt is placed in the holder, I could mill a groove in the bolt using a 5/16" ball end mill.

The parts were blued using a recipe from Clyde Bakers book "Modern Gunsmithing", heat the parts with a torch and quench them in raw linseed oil.

It feels good to have this project done.

Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.