April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, Vol423, Hammergun, Sun Dog, 2 invisible), 375 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,793
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I might be the only guy I know that still cards by hand. I have an oil coated carding wheel and use it for prep before rust blue. I may need to install a clean wheel and give that a go for carding between passes.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is a long retired drill mill with sealed bearings, no oil anywhere. I keep a very clean shop.
I normally card with two different speeds. Find out all about the how and why, sign up for the Seminar. Student go home achieving High quality Professional result immediately! Slow rusting for the most durable and handsome metal finishing.

The carding wheel is kept in its original box when not in use.

Slow rust blued Fox barrels after draw filing and hand polishing. Definitively nicer than factory work! STUDENT PROJECT!

Last edited by SDH-MT; 01/29/20 05:10 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, thanks for the explanation; makes sense.

With three mills in the shop all doing milling stuff, plus a couple of lathes and surface grinders, I get oil & chips everywhere; face milling some soft 1018 will throw oily chips a good 10 -15 feet.

That’s why the separate room for bluing and CCH.

For my carding I use a 3 Phase motor with a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD), that allows me to go from 0 to 3450 rpm or any speed in between with a turn of a dial.

Oh…nice work on those barrels.

Respectfully

Mike

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, I believe you told me that your shop was three or four times the size of mine. My Bridgeport is across the room from the bluing area and lathe in a different room. As I said I keep a very clean shop. In fact, I put most of the bluing gear away after each sequence. I also find the motion of horizontal carding vastly easier than doing it vertically.
(ALL PICS TAKEN DURING SEMINARS)

After rusting, before carding.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 01/29/20 05:09 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
I'd like this dispute to be settled once and for all. Dave, will you please offer some explanation how posts here that show fine work together with the craftman's web address or offers of instruction in the craft cause you harm or diminish the site in some way? For me, these posts are among the very best information this site offers, and the obsessive response of Keith is ruining this whole experience. He seems to be a one-man censor here. If that is your intention, why not just say so and be rid of all us who are fed up. Let Keith and jOe chat with each other here in complete privacy.

I have posted Dave's words concerning those who use his forum for free advertising several times for Billy. But like most Liberal Democrats, he appears to think that other Liberals like him, SKB, and this gutless coward SDH-MT deserve special treatment:

I am once again posting a QUOTE by Doublegunshop site Administrator Dave Weber which states his thoughts on the use of this forum by some narcissists and cheapskates to advertise their personal ventures. I have put the specific part pertaining to personal advertisements in BOLD PURPLE PRINT, but have not changed Dave's word's on the subject of personal advertisements one bit.

This QUOTE is from the thread "OPEN LETTER TO DAVE W.", and it was concerning the rules for selling items here.

Read 'em and weep rocky mtn bill:

Originally Posted By: Dave Weber
For Sale section…

#1 - I have always provided latitude to members who have been courteous enough to ask prior to posting for sale ads. This would include those who personally sell DGJ collections, Ithaca Model 37's...et al. As I feel these are legitimate sporting items and/or fine firearms. I would expect the same fee if the listing was successful and honestly all the members who have ever asked first then posted have been more than honorable in their commitment to the terms of the for sale section. I prefer the preponderance of ads to feature SxS guns and rifles…so long as the “Other fine Firearms” and related are in the minority I have no issue with them being in the section. For that matter I can light up another forum with related items but there don’t seem to be enough of them to warrant the change.

(Random rant thrown in below just because…it’s true….Or, at least I think so.) I have always been pissed off by commercial ventures who feel the BBS and its members are worthwhile for their advertising so long as it’s free….Apparently only their time and products are worth money where as my time and my product is not….go figure.

Thank you,
Dave Weber

And here is a link that will explain why apostrophes and quotation marks in Dave's statement showed up with this-- ’ -- instead of an apostrophe, etc. I was going to fix it, but didn't want to get accused of dishonest editing. However, there is no mistaking his feelings on the subject:

https://www.justinweiss.com/articles/how-to-get-from-theyre-to-theyre/

rocky mtn bill accuses me of censorhip, yet does anyone notice that it is Billy who is always trying to silence those who disagree with him and his support of Liberal Democrat anti-gunners?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In addition, there is nothing in this free advertising thread that is in any way helpful to anyone here, except this little worm who uses his maiden name. What sort of man uses his maiden name anyway?

We have all seen pictures of partially completed gunstocks and gun parts, We have all seen carding wheels. If you want to know how any of the work is done, well, all you have to do is pay through the nose... $1650.00 for a five day class. That is more money than a week of tuition at Harvard University. There are dozens of old threads in the archives here that deal with slow rust bluing. All of the advice is free. There are people who explain how and why they either card by hand, or how they use a carding wheel. The advantages and disadvantages of both methods are here. And it won't cost you a dime! The information is also available elsewhere on the internet, and through any number of gunsmithing books and videos. Want to see a great stockmaking step-by-step how-to? Get a copy of this book, and save over $1600.00:

You don't see Trinidad or Pennsylvania Gunsmith School advertising classes and posting pictures of students here. They could no doubt show all kinds of photos of gun work in progress to promote their businesses. This gutless worm who uses his maiden name slithers back here, apparently just to use this site to advertise for his own personal gain, says he uses the IGNORE function to IGNORE my posts, but we know that is bullshit because I have the record of him calling me on my phone from Livingston, Montana on Feb. 2 at 3:07 PM, in an obvious drunken stupor, screaming vulgar threats at me.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a patriotic ad for another free advertiser, SKB, and rocky mtn bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, enough of this crap. People are capable of making their own choices.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since this is a firearms forum, it might be more appropriate to ask:

Are you Pro-2nd Amendment, or...

Are you a Democrat???...

You really can't be both.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.