April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bob Jurewicz, susjwp, David Williamson, Wild Skies, GSPWillie, 1 invisible), 260 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,762
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#563261 01/20/20 03:39 PM
langley Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi all,
Have a question or two about a sxs 20 gauge I have had in my safe for 10 years or so. It is an Italian made gun that I have been told was made in the late '60s by Beretta, and was based on their GR-3 (I think that is right, been a long time). Wood has accrued a few light safe marks, blue/metal is in excellent condition, don't think it has been shot much at all. It feels very nice in the hand, and seems to be a much better quality gun than other Charles Daly products that I have seen, which are admittedly very few. My questions are (1) Did Beretta indeed manufacture shotguns for CD at some time? and (2) Are these guns very valuable? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome on your first post here, Mr. Langley. The Charles Daly trade name has utilized a number of foreign manufacturers over the many years of its existence. Beretta was one of them. The finest and most famous are the Prussian Dalys, and my favorites of the more recent version are the Japanese Miroku doubles...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: langley
Hi all,
Have a question or two about a sxs 20 gauge I have had in my safe for 10 years or so. It is an Italian made gun that I have been told was made in the late '60s by Beretta, and was based on their GR-3 (I think that is right, been a long time). Wood has accrued a few light safe marks, blue/metal is in excellent condition, don't think it has been shot much at all. It feels very nice in the hand, and seems to be a much better quality gun than other Charles Daly products that I have seen, which are admittedly very few. My questions are (1) Did Beretta indeed manufacture shotguns for CD at some time? and (2) Are these guns very valuable? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think what you have is the CD Empire grade 20GA. Nice gun that was made by Beretta. If I see one for sale it is usually between $900.00 to $1500.00 depending on condition and the stubborn nature of the seller.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems like I recall that the 1960's Daly "Empires" were made by Sabatti for Beretta...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say closer to $1500. I sold one with thinning blue and some ware showing for $1200 about 3 1/2 years ago

langley Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the replies and info. I forgot to mention that the gun is indeed marked Empire Grade on the left barrel at the chamber. Glad to know that it is worth a little, plan to thin the herd a bit and purchase a 28 gauge sxs; never owned one but think it would be a really fun gun. If I can ask another question or three, been looking at 28 doubles and am leaning toward the Dickinson Estate. The CZ Sharptail is nice looking and a little less money, but problems seem more common in these than the Dickinson (according to online reviews). Also noticed just today a very cheap 28, the Charles Daly Model 528, but cannot find a single review on these; actually it is so cheap that red flags instantly went up, though I suppose it could be a real sleeper. Any advice/experiences/opinions on these 28 doubles? Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome on your first postings smile

Look at this

http://www.shotguns.se/html/italy.html

Also do you have a manufacturer mark with
the proof marks?

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=130097

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 01/20/20 06:29 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

You might want to take a look at the FAIR (I. Rizzini) current imports. Not that much difference in price between an entry-level FAIR and a Dickinson Estate. And although the Turks are doing a better job with triggers these days, if a decent trigger pull is important to you, I'd advise never buying a Turkish gun without trying the trigger(s).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depending on budget, think seriously about an RBL 28. They are available new and used with a lot of options so you should be able to find one in the configuration you want. I got one of the first run with 30" barrels, English stock, splinter F/E, and DT. Very nice gun. The FAIR Rizzinis that Larry mentioned are usually great guns for the money.

langley Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

First of all, thank you Geo. Newbern and skeettx for the welcomes. My gun does have the AB inside an oval, and what I am guessing is year of manufacture mark of XXIII. I know my next statement might get me shunned by a lot of users here, but the reason the Dickinson caught my attention is that it can be had with other than an English stock and splinter F/E. I realize that a lot of folks who know a lot more than me about doubles will cringe at hearing that, but the straight stock and splinter F/E are an absolute deal killer for me. And yes, I have used one in the past, an English stocked BSS 20 gauge on quail and doves for a season or two. Shot a lot of clay targets also, really attempted to like this gun but couldn't stand it! Very happy to see it on its way. While I sincerely appreciate the FAIR and RBL suggestions, they're just not my cup of tea. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.