May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (MattH, CJF, playing hooky, jake van dyke, 2 invisible), 701 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,594
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys got to quit playing fast and loose with the term "Magnum" in relation to North American shotgunnery. The first time our North American manufacturers used the term "Magnum" for a shotgun and/or shotgun shell was in 1932 with the introduction of Ithaca's NID Magnum-10 and the Western Super-X 10-gauge 3 1/2 inch Magnum shell for it.

Last edited by Researcher; 01/12/20 01:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a photo in one of the earlier Parker books (Larry Baer author) showing a 20 gauge DHE built as one of two guns purchased by an east coast duck club in the Teens. It had factory 3" chambers...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher, do you have a couple of rooms for your library of paper work on old shotguns and shells ? I can still remembering my mother taking me over to the county library and looking up the section for gun related books. I'd usually end up with Greeners big thick book to take home but have to bring back in 3 days. I'm always so amazed at all the info you present on the different gun web sites. Thank you very much for sharing some of what you have.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
You guys got to quit playing fast and loose with the term "Magnum" in relation to North American shotgunnery. The first time our North American manufacturers used the term "Magnum" for a shotgun and/or shotgun shell was in 1932 with the introduction of Ithaca's NID Magnum-10 and the Western Super-X 10-gauge 3 1/2 inch Magnum shell for it.

I wish I knew how to post pictures off my iPhone. I have a picture of the barrel lugs that looks factory original. Under one barrel it clearly shows a JG in an oval and 3 in. MAG. the middle has a 12 sideways 2; the other barrel has a V in a circle, HT over A and a large 4 smaller 2.

I assume the 4-2 is the barrel weight, V = V grade, HT over A proof marks? Anyway, this looks to me like a later Parker that truly is a 3” Magnum.

Last edited by Glacierjohn; 01/13/20 04:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Blame it on G.E. Lewis. I don't have the date of this ad, but VL&D were the U.S. agents for G.E. Lewis in 1923.

Greener used the term in the 1907 edition of "The Gun"
https://books.google.com/books?id=3HMCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA378&vq

Then there were all the "Long Rangers". Parker "Long Range" in the 1894-95 Montgomery Ward catalog

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
There was a photo in one of the earlier Parker books (Larry Baer author) showing a 20 gauge DHE built as one of two guns purchased by an east coast duck club in the Teens. It had factory 3" chambers...

Close but no cigar!! The pictures on page 36 and 37 of Larry's 1980 combined book of his two previous books from 1974 and 1976, are from the famous Widgeon Duck Club near Visalia, California. There were eight guns in that order to R.F. Cross Hardware Co., seven DHEs and one BHE. The gun Larry showed was the J.A. Hannah gun. Here is the hang-tag for the gun --

The tag shows it wasn't targeted with the hottest 20-gauge loads offered at that time of 2 1/2 drams of bulk smokeless powder or 20 grains of dense smokeless powder such as Infallible or Ballistite pushing 7/8 ounce of shot, but rather the lighter 2 1/4 dram load --

I don't know what Larry was talking about when he stated they were made "with 3-inch chambers for the then revolutionary "ajax heavy" 20-gauge magnum shells." The shells he pictures with the gun are Peters IDEAL with the standard load of the day of 2 1/2 drams of E.C. pushing 7/8 ounce of shot.

Last edited by Researcher; 01/13/20 08:10 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Paul Harm
Researcher, do you have a couple of rooms for your library of paper work on old shotguns and shells ? I can still remembering my mother taking me over to the county library and looking up the section for gun related books. I'd usually end up with Greeners big thick book to take home but have to bring back in 3 days. I'm always so amazed at all the info you present on the different gun web sites. Thank you very much for sharing some of what you have.

While I do have a pretty serious collection of Western Cartridge Co. paper, a lot of ammo catalogs are available on the International Ammunition Association web site, but for as long as I've been looking at it, Winchester and U.S. Cartridge Co. are "coming soon."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I have a picture of the barrel lugs that looks factory original. Under one barrel it clearly shows a JG in an oval and 3 in. MAG. the middle has a 12 sideways 2; the other barrel has a V in a circle, HT over A and a large 4 smaller 2.

My best guess is that the "3 in. MAG." was stamped on the barrel flat by the gunsmith that hogged the chambers out to 3-inch.

If you want, email the picture to AHFCA@comcast.net and I'll post it. You still haven't told us the serial number of the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Same fella?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, I’ll do that. I’ll ask what the serial number is.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.