April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, gasgunner, David Williamson, KDGJ), 409 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the Rangoon oil is a bit more subtle, as compared to Hoppes #9. Rangoon has a very distinctive smell. Lovely.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

PL you seem to be on your own here. So I will start at the beginning with a couple of photographs.

A slim brief history of Webley & Scott.

Take a close look at the gun case bottom left in this picture does it remind you of something? It is a very low grade photograph of a low grade book picture.

These cases where made by the Brady company (there is a company having the same name now though not the same).
The leather used for the straps handle and strap anchors is English Vege Tanned Bridle Leather straps fitted with solid Brass Military style buckles, not at all the like the thin poor quality Leather used on the $129.95 case manufactured to a rock bottom price in the far east.
The Canvas used on the Brady case is a quality product using a high proportion of Linen thread in its manufacture. The $129.95 offering is just Cotton Calico with a ware rating of a ladies handkerchief.
The Brady case fabric is manufactured from Deal a cover all name we Brits give to various Pine timbers. This is strong and light also used for the dividers and the case top and bottom.This is to make the case and gun lighter to carry when compared with an Oak framed version, but still giving a reasonably high level of gun protection. The Case lock is good quality Brass and lasts the life of the case.
The $129.95 has highly flexible plywood sides with hardboard top bottom and dividers.
The Brady case has real wool Baize, Perry Baize is a woven Wool Cloth, Felt is a felted cloth not woven with a ware quality of zero. In the $129.95 will have some man made fibre cloth with a nap made to look and feel like the real thing but it isn't.
Those low cost cases are sold on this side of the pond and I have been asked to repair a good number now, and I have turned every one down except the first where I gained the knowledge of how they are constructed, and never again do I want to do an other. I also used one of these low value all Leather cases that I re-constructed for a two barrel Webley & Scott 700 two barrel set posting here. George I take it that you keep all your guns in cardboard boxes with string handles "Well it is just a box to put a gun in" your remark was I hope as tongue in cheek as mine.
Finally Wanagohunting, 10 parts Alcohol to one part Baby Oil. This gives a temporary dressing the fabric it does not last a long time but it sure makes the canvas look good. Apply sparingly do not saturate the canvas.

Last edited by damascus; 01/11/20 11:25 AM.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

That, homies, is why we hang around the doublegunshop board. If you cant figure it out after that explanation, and believe this level of knowledge and experience is available anywhere else, then the Facebook gun boards are probably where you belong, anyway.
Many, many thanks, Damascus.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Ernie ... Very good information

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
That, homies, is why we hang around the doublegunshop board. If you cant figure it out after that explanation, and believe this level of knowledge and experience is available anywhere else, then the Facebook gun boards are probably where you belong, anyway.

Best,
Ted

You can enjoy both Ted. You might be surprised who hangs out on FB and the knowledge they contribute. I certainly appreciate the post by Damascus.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus,
Thank you for that explanation! You answered every question I had on the difference in the two types of case. I thought I had heard before that oak and leather or oak and canvas was the ultimate in case materials but your explanation here makes perfect sense and clears that up for me. Also, thanks for educating me on Baize without having me go to Google to ask the question!! I may still go with a really good quality English case for a couple of guns I have, but for now I will probably just stick with the breakdown cases I have as I mentioned before of the Pelican type or the Cabela's stainless steel. And George, can you post some pictures of some of your "boxes with string handles" that Damascus spoke of!!! I had no idea that this string of posts was going to turn into such fun!! Thanks all for the education. Heck, I was ready to accept PL's explanation that it was just his opinion!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Best,
Ted

You nailed it Ted!! That is precisely the reason I have been here for so long. I don't like some of the idiots who constantly try to upset everything posted here but I have most assuredly learned to simply ignore them.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB

Best,
Ted

You can enjoy both Ted. You might be surprised who hangs out on FB and the knowledge they contribute. I certainly appreciate the post by Damascus.
Steve

Been to both. This one is better. It gets harder to find Klunks enjoyable posts, here, but he was never on FB.
So it goes.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB

Steve

It appears that you also enjoy the continuous free advertising that you do here Stevie. Have you tried doing that on Upland Journal yet?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'm not sure I would use the word better Ted, different maybe. We have lots of knowledge here but this is not the only place you can find knowledgeable double gun folks. You see things here you do not see there and vise versa.

A couple weeks back a client asked me to find him a contact for sleeving a gun in the UK, within hours I had the names of four guys all recommended by top gunmakers in the trade through a FB group. You do not get that here any longer, maybe once long ago.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.