March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (canvasback, Argo44, Hammergun, fallschirmjaeger, 2 invisible), 796 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#561090 12/24/19 06:00 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So what the deal with sleeved barrels, its a great way to bring a classic gun back to life. Modern loads can be used. What are the cons with a sleeved set that turns people away? Ive got two British guns that have been sleeved both are virtually undetectable.

Last edited by RARiddell; 12/24/19 07:53 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are correct. The only issue is cost and re-sale value. If done correctly it is fantastic.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed. If not...not

1891 GHE Parker 10g sleeved to 12g and "restored"

Lindner 20b

Once a Parker prior to Bubba's sleeving and welding service

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So whats your point, these were obviously modified, do you have any prior information on these examples? Im only seeing three examples, there are literally thousands of sleeved guns. This would be equivalent to saying no one should ever shoot Damascus barreled guns, followed by three examples of blown barrels!

Last edited by RARiddell; 12/24/19 07:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not trying to be obtuse. I was agreeing with Mike. Expertly done is fantastic.

c. 1890 William Cashmore, Birmingham 12b sleeved to 16b courtesy of Heritage Guns UK

Inexpertly done is not; by Lefever Arms Company (Frank Lefever and Son) in 1980 much to the distress of the owner

And in this country there have been attempts to deceive; a damascus DH sleeved, blued and re-marked "Titanic"

Got the point? There are more examples here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20580224

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry Drew, I think I took your post the wrong way and should have been more specific in my initial query, as your got the point isnt related to what I asked, but that is my fault for being open ended. Those examples are poorly done, I wouldnt consider that kind of job, so I can see where there would be a con in finding sleeved barrels if those were the ones you might be considering.

Last edited by RARiddell; 12/24/19 07:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Historically, sleeving after being 'invented' in the 50's was used by certain gun manufacturers as a way of keeping men working when there were few new gun orders. Some of these sleeving jobs were really badly done: barrel sets with the handling of scaffolding tubes, very visible joints et al. Of course there was some very good work as well but these jobs were lost in 'noise' of the poor work and the value of sleeved guns tumbled, partly due to the influence of the major gunmakers who did everything they could to denigrate the process, having lost a large amount of work in rebarrelling.
In the 90's Bob Ladbrook started working on TIG jointing the barrel tubes into the breech block and suddenly one had a potentially invisible joint and a much better looking job. There was much wringing of hands over concerns about brittle fractures but with judicious normalisation of the barrel set after welding and before striking up, these fear were proven misplaced.
When TIG 're-sleeving' barrel sets to lose the joint, I found that in poorly done sleeving, knurling of the new tube to improve the fit in the breech block (rather than hand finishing it for a perfect press fit) was commonplace and this can make re-using the old sleeving tubes impossible for a good fit.
The old complaint that sleeving 'destroys the balance' is patently untrue if the new barrels are profiled and thicknessed correctly. However, as the original barrel set got lighter through lapping or striking off, the gun will likely have been re-balanced and this must now be done again to restore the original balance to the complete gun by adding weight to the stock etc.
Having said all this, the market still considers a sleeved gun to be considerably less valuable than even one with thin and dangerous original barrels. I sort of understand were the collector mentality comes from but for practical use, a sleeved gun CAN BE every bit as good as the original gun. A lot of the guns I sell are sleeved and I have yet to have anybody complain about their usability.
And a very happy Christmas to you all.
(And my wife is wondering what the hell I am doing on Christmas morning at the breakfast table, ho, ho, ho!)

Last edited by Toby Barclay; 12/25/19 01:11 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Toby thank you and Merry Christmas!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe 'Special Ted will rain in with his X'spurt'tease....

Only sleeved gun I owned was a Purdey hammer gun...reproofed and almost invisible job.

For a 100 yr old shooter I'd soon have a sleeved gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My two "sleevers" are a Reilly and an Elsie Specialty with 32" barrels done for me by one of our members here a few years ago. Both are very well done and undetectable to my eye. I agree a couple of the bad ones shown above are awful!...Geo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.