April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Replacement, Ted Schefelbein, LeFusil, montenegrin), 398 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Maybe 'Special Ted will rain in with his X'spurt'tease....

Only sleeved gun I owned was a Purdey hammer gun...reproofed and almost invisible job.

For a 100 yr old shooter I'd soon have a sleeved gun.

HAHAHA!

You couldn’t wait to ditch it after you showed up, here, and someone clued you in to what the brutal “sleeved” stamp beaten into the barrels meant.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since sleeving offers more opportunity to be “wrong” than “correct” I won’t buy a sleeved gun. I do have a Harkom 16 that is rebarreled.

Last edited by Chukarman; 12/25/19 01:31 PM.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

You are not alone.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Parker DH that was sleeved by Wesley Richards and is so-marked.

The job is visible, for no other reason than the original chamber section is damascus while the tubes are fluid. Each took the reblacking a bit differently.

I really like the resulting balance of the gun and the opened chokes IC/M, and that I can run most ammo through the pipes worry free. I do avoid the highest recoil loads to protect the stock though.

Do any of you have an opinion on WR's sleeving work?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Maybe 'Special Ted will rain in with his X'spurt'tease....

Only sleeved gun I owned was a Purdey hammer gun...reproofed and almost invisible job.

For a 100 yr old shooter I'd soon have a sleeved gun.

HAHAHA!

You couldn’t wait to ditch it after you showed up, here, and someone clued you in to what the brutal “sleeved” stamp beaten into the barrels meant.

Best,
Ted

Special Ted...you are the biggest idiot I've ever ran into. I knew exactly what I bought before I bought it.

You are the one that looked at the picture of the chambers with gauge mates in and went berserk.

Just like in your head you just know I use my Wilburt vise to do scrimshaw in because I showed a picture of something I was checkering in it.

Special Ted...did the cOOn Rapids trade skool mascot scratch you in the eyes ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are not all mono-blocked shotguns essentially sleeved? Seems that they are very reliable if so. If that's correct I would think properly done work on an existing gun would be also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chukarman
Since sleeving offers more opportunity to be “wrong” than “correct” I won’t buy a sleeved gun. I do have a Harkom 16 that is rebarreled.

There are plenty of examples of botched gun work out there aside from bad sleeving jobs. The sleeving jobs that are done well are nearly undetectable, and they do not appear to be unsafe to shoot. Most of the gun blow-up threads we see here do not involve sleeved guns. Guns that are stamped "Sleeved" are marked that way after they have passed Proof in Great Britain. The process is not cheap. They will never be worth as much as an original un-sleeved gun in otherwise equal condition. But they present an opportunity to salvage an unsafe and otherwise unshootable gun.

As with all gun work, you have to find a competent Gunsmith with a good reputation, and you have to decide whether the final cost can be justified by either the actual or sentimental value of the finished product.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

'Are not all mono-blocked shotguns essentially sleeved? Seems that they are very reliable if so. If that's correct I would think properly done work on an existing gun would be also.'

Yes the process is similar.
However the major difference is that the breech block on a modern O/U or S/S with 'sleeved in' tubes is usually a single block of metal which incorporates lumps, ejector/extractor tunnels, any top extension and of course the breech stubs into which the tubes are sleeved.
Also some modern 'sleeved in' barrel sets use a tube that only goes so far as a shoulder machined into the breech block rather than all the way to the rim recess/breech face, the logic being (as I understand it) that having the joint within the chamber, it is less visible (!?).

Last edited by Toby Barclay; 12/26/19 02:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Toby B. And Doc Drew.

I think the Beretta failures had to do with using an epoxy vs. Solder/welding to fix the barrels IIRC. At any rate don't hear of or see too many flying to pieces.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.