May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (canvasback, SKB, Stanton Hillis, 2 invisible), 866 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,499
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does anyone have the statistics on the Gamebore Traditional shells. I was shooting 16 ga. GB 1 oz. #7, 28g, fibre wad. Reached out there but had more recoil than expected. If it is what King stated at 8122 psi that is fairly low-pressure.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot heavier guns better but like to carry lighter guns more.......I doubt that this is uncommon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KM,
No secret there. Look at the current clay game guns. Most are 8lbs or there abouts and very forward weighted well beyond what the London gamegun fun-adicts would call a "balanced" gun. Face it, they shoot better, millions of clays and dollars have proven it. Now, I wouldn't like to take a 32" 8lb gun up and down the razorbacks of my favorite quail patch, nor do I think it's ideal for that ever so quick flush of quail. But, I've killed many many quail with a 7 1/2lb BSS 26" 12g that is pretty well balanced between the hands but would not be called "lively" by any means. I think that's it! "lively" is not conducive to consistant shooting by the masses, no matter the claims. I see this very clearly when watching my brother-in-law (a hunter/shooter of only 5-6 yrs) go thru guns. He favors heavier, more forward weighted guns. I've given him a Win 24 20g that is a feather of 6lbs and very "lively". He couldn't hit well with it no matter how we fitted it. He didn't like the quickness of the gun and has moved on to slower swinging guns. He even bought a 32" 101 gun from me for SC. He does well with the slower swinging guns.

Chuck H #68176 11/26/07 01:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can't put enough rounds through your light weight (because of discomfort) to become intimately familiar with it......it's too light.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

This topic gets posted about every six months, very subjective, what it comes down to is whatever suits your taste and style. Personally, I prefer a light gun, in fact the lighter the better. My current go-to upland gun is a 16 gauge French guild gun with 27" barrels, choked Full/Skeet, it weighs 5 lbs 1 oz. About all I use it for is hunting, though I will shoot a few rounds of sporting clays and 5-stand with it in the late summer, just before hunting season. Yah it kicks hard, so what.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Rockdoc #68183 11/26/07 02:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, yur tuff. I'm not all that concerned over recoil either. I know there are some exceptional shooters like yourself and probably there are many proficient shooters on this board that can handle a light, "lively" gun well. Heck, many on this bbs eat, sleep, and breathe shooting/hunting. They/we are the exception, IMO. But, even they will shoot a "slower" gun better, but not many would want to lug them in the field.

I do prefer fairly light guns for my quail hunting. But I do know that I'm more consistant with a heavier gun. I'm just not all that inclined to carry a big heavy gun for the up and downs of quail hunting. What I like and what I shoot better have some differences.

Chuck H #68185 11/26/07 03:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now Steve-ain't you about 6'4" and 250?
Us pencil neck geeks with previous sports injuries and head trauma ('splains alot ) are a bit more recoil "sensitive."

Last edited by revdocdrew; 11/26/07 03:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

revdoc, where do you shoot phez that allows limits like I see in that photo? Or, are those pen raised birds shot on a high $$ funny farm? I am just positive you wouldn't do anything illegal like disregard a game limit, right? Right, must be pen raised birds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All wild S. Dakota birds, and as you can see from the angle of the sun, took us all day of 'drive and blocking' to get them

Not really my style of hunting, but these are former med students and old hunting buddies from KC and our 4th year together in Plankinton.
Thanks for your interest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doc,
I was in SD for the openner on the east side. Very wet and thought waders would be handy. Birds everwhere. Nice take. 'that a little Lab on the left? Looks a bit like mine.

I'm not much for the classic SD 'walk-n-block' cornfield either. This year, I was pleasantly surprised that we only hunted one or two cornfields and most were in grass, reed, weed, or cattail fields/slews. Much more satisfying, even if they were hunted in the walk-n-block fashion. Still, it felt more like real hunting rather than harvesting.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.