May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (GETTEMANS, smlekid), 528 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like bats. We have them nesting in the roof space and my sister ends up hand feeding the waifs and strays every June - some survive and fly away, some don't make it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree in that bats of any kind should not be killed. Most of the bats we see are the little Brown Bats, they eat far more mosquitoes than can be imagined. Plus I think it is illegal to shoot any bats.
People actually put up bat houses to help in getting rid of mosquitoes.
Jerry is right shoot starlings instead, that is legal.

I think this topic should be removed from this site before do-gooders get any information on helping them deplete hunting.

David

I used to marvel at the aerobatics of bats at dusk when I was a youngster in the mid-west. A couple of years ago I was fortunate to spent a few weeks watching the sunset behind the Flathead Lake in Montana. The 1930's log cabin I stayed in had a bat house and every evening those amazing "flying machines" put on a show of exquisite grace over the lake shore...wonderful fun and the bug population wasn't a problem either.
One must be "batty" to shoot a bat...same crime against nature as shooting a Gray Wolf in my book.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
Sidelock

a number of bat shooters in Arizona spent a long time in prison for their deeds. I had not the least bit of sympathy for them or any other bat shooter.

I do not recall if killing bats is a federal or state crime (they are migratory). But I sure hope YOU find out.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have bat box on each large tree because our local variety eat bugs! Find something else to shoot at you ....... .....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just bought a stevens 311 .410 for my go-to butterfly gun. Choked full and fuller, it's really tough to hit the little white butterflies because they dart around so much, but it is absolutely deadly on big monarchs, and those really really rare purple ones. I don't see many of them around no more. Too bad.

Now that I think about it, it may be the perfect butterfly gun too!

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

7 of the 45 species in the US are endangered, including the Indiana bat which can be found in Mich. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/wrcf/inbat.aspx
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/bats/batfacts.pdf
You gentlemen going to be reporting yourselves to the DNR? PETA's gotta love this thread.

marklart,
I assume your post is "tongue in cheek", though perhaps not as I've seen many shoot at butterfly's and Dragon Flys for sport. Excuse me but do they eat them?...or mount them as trophys?. Monarch butterflys are beautiful to the eye and also migratory traveling incredible distances. Dragon Flys, like Bats, eat prodigious numbers of pesky mosquitoes on the sporting clays course. I don't understand people who take pleasure in killing everything they see...probably the same ones who set cats on fire or try to run over ducklings, turtles, racoons etc. on the roadway...just for the sport of it. I hope those same people have the good sense to at least keep their mouths shut when the PC Police turn the topic of conversation to hunting and gun control! Their juvenile antics do all of us a disservice.
Yours Sincerely,
A Tree Hugging Conservationist with a GUN.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess I'm on the fence on this one. I guess it's like the coyote/wolf controversy in some ways. You love 'em or you hate 'em.

On one hand, bats do eat mosquitoes and are in some cases endangered, but then they do carry rabies and could be vampires as well. It's two against two. Actually, three against three, since bats are know to fly into women's hair which creates a lot of damaged hair do's. But I have also seen a movie where a young lady, in the course of trying to free a bat from her hair, somehow managed to be liberated from her brassiere.

To summarize:

Bat Pro's -Eats bugs, endangered, possibly freeing of boobies
Bat Con's -Rabies, vampires, tangled hair do's

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sharpsrifle, I had assumed my satire was so over the top that no one could possibly think I was being serious. Apparently I was wrong. Heavy sigh and shaking of head.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.