April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jolly Bill, Bob Jurewicz, Jimmy W), 385 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 46 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 45 46
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, I've been partial to this Ithaca SKB 100 20 ga. this year (so far). 25" barrels, IC/M. Most of my guns baffle me. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a good walk at the snipery this morning. It was a little cooler than any other day I've hunted so far this season and I was thankful for it.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Skip, what gun is that? You still reloading and shooting your 32 ga.? Gil

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of drifting snow but warm and sunny in South Dakota. Put one in the bag but they are not easy right now. Had to get them early in the cattails. Hope to get a few more before I head home. No pics as today's bird was not pretty but it will eat well.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Skip, what gun is that? You still reloading and shooting your 32 ga.? Gil

Gil, I still have the 32 gauge but I haven't shot it this season and I don't believe I shot it last season. This would be the time to shoot it. Water levels are high which means I am hunting thicker cover. Since it offers better concealment shots are often a little shorter. This morning and last Saturday I shot a 20 gauge Grulla.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Floyd was entertaining out of town family today and Stan came off the bench and agreed to join Team MuttPak in the woods for woodcock. It was a great day with great company and outstanding dog work. We were in the birds including one coveyrise over a solid point courtesy of Abby and Willa. I anticipated a woodcock but the coveyrise proved otherwise. It doesn't get any better than today for woodcock around these parts. Stan's holding his 28 ga. Verona O/U and shot very well with it. I lugged the Ithaca SKB 100 20 ga. For Team MuttPak, Gil.
The lowlight was when Willa pointed into a low bramble thicket, tunneled in and a wild sow ran out the back end leaving piglets. The squealing started and Abby joined in the fray. They ignored my commands (a lot of "come @#$%") and whistle blowing which they ignored until I turned up the Ecollar juice. Willa's head shot up and out holding a piglet sideways in her jaws like an oversized pulled-pork sandwich on a bun. When I juiced her, she looked at me startled, dropped the piglet and both she and Abby came to me running. I hate those hogs and we got lucky. Glad the sow chose to flee and not attack. That's why the MuttPak is clad in Kevlar cut vests when we hunt woodcock.

Last edited by GLS; 12/22/19 06:56 PM. Reason: added hog incident
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a chance of rain today so I carried a gun usually reserved for days when conditions could go south. It is a 70's era 20 ga made by Jose Uriguen. The little working man's, hardware store gun performed well and knocked down the first seven birds with seven shots fired. The pressure then got to be too much for me and I missed a shot I should not have taken. Once a perfect run was out of the question I regained my composure and picked up my last bird.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, it looks like the two of you found plenty of birds and made your shots count. I keep hoping to stumble across a woodcock. One of these days.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It took some serious persistence out of Tucker to pull this bird that was still very much alive out of the cattails. I had just called him back and given up on finding this one when he popped up with it in his mouth.

My old girl Lucy handled a huge group of birds like a pro and I was able to get this one with her. I should have had my limit today, missed more than I would like to admit in the afternoon.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice SKB,
We saw only two roosters today, both in the cattails, shot at only one, no happiness resulted. Gus is not amazed with my shooting, at least not in a good way.

Good on Tucker. I have learned to trust my dogs. The have often done the miraculous and the impossible to make up for when my shooting fails. Gus has gone so far to bring them to me without my even shooting. He deserves better.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 22 of 46 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.