April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, FlyChamps, liverwort, Hammergun, CJF, 1 invisible), 454 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,210
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you skeettx, saw that earlier, just did not look far enough through the pages. Nothing appears to be pre drilled.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The blanks were mostly pre-turned by an outside wood monger, before they were delivered at the factory. Anything really special came in as a dry, unturned blank. The LOP was trimmed to be a little long, and the turned stock was fixtured in a lathe at the correct angle, and a two step drill did the hole at the precise angle.

I had a custom stock fitted to my R10, Herve roughed it down to about what the pre-turned stocks looked like, taking big, scary cuts with a spoke sheave, was duck soup to him. Then it was drilled, bolted to the gun, and about two hours later, unbolted and off to the checkering studio.

The problem with stockwork, even in France, is getting the hole right. Youve got one try.

If you can get the hole right, at the beginning, I suspect a Darne might be a very easy gun to restock. That is the only gun Ive ever seen being restocked, and I have no frame of reference, but, it went quick on my gun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you could get Bob to give up his secrets, you could probably save some money by transforming a stick of black walnut into figured French Walnut:

Total Stock Blank Transformation: How is it done?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone with a pantograpgh can duplicate an existing Darne stock. The hole is drilled ahead of time and becomes the axis upon which both the pattern and the blank are turned. Same way a Ballard or any through bolt gun is done.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

It isnt a through bolt. It is a wood screw with a straight shank that interference fits with the hole in the wood. The wood screw has machine screw threads down the hollow inside, that receive a screw from the action side, holding the action into the wood. Most of the guns have an elegant, rounded wood to metal fit in that area, that complicates the fitting. The hole was drilled AFTER the stock was rough turned, at the factory. I was there.
If it was easy, it wouldnt be a problem getting a stock made for a Darne.
But, it is a problem. Yes, it can be done. But, there are few volunteers, here, or, in France.
Here is a live one, a guy looking for the work. You do wood work, SKB, right?

Best,
Ted

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has been sometime since I have had a Darne stock off the metal but I seem to recall the setup you describe Ted. I would need to look it over but I think I would still put my hole in first and use it as a reference. Sometimes the way things are done in a factory is not practical in a small shop, building jigs etc. I have plenty to do right now including running a few client patterns. Depending upon demand and profitability I could be talked into it.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.naturabuy.fr/vis-crosse-DARNE-VENDU-PAR-JEPERCUTE-d9d28--item-5486292.html
https://www.naturabuy.fr/vis-crosse-DARNE-VENDU-PAR-JEPERCUTE-d9d31--item-5490818.html

Is this the screw tou mention, several different configurations it looks like. Does anybody have a photo or a link to a stock off of the action.

Last edited by prairie ghost; 12/16/19 09:06 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bingo.

Drill the hole before you start shaping things so you have all those flat square surfaces to work with.

Use the hole as your datum line.

Sounds like everything pulls forward along it.

Then, just remove all the wood that doesnt look like a Darne stock.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
If you could get Bob to give up his secrets, you could probably save some money by transforming a stick of black walnut into figured French Walnut:

Total Stock Blank Transformation: How is it done?

Even bOb could never love a bumpur zack...

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the answers. The existing stock is intact, but really ugly, so I will leave it as is.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.