April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (AGS, LeFusil, NCTarheel, DaveB, 1 invisible), 542 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,079
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

And I don't think we should use the words "slam forward" as this sort of abusive language is a red flag to our resident neuresthenic. What we're doing is "releasing the bolt on its own recognizance". :p

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Jack... you do know that you can chamber load a I-37? It takes finesse... and at first about three hands, but it can be done.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

"I'm not an autoloader guy. On a skeet field with an 1100 what's the proper/safest loading for doubles?"
Yes, the question deals with loading for doubles on a skeet field. It also deals with loading a Remington 1100.
However, Yeti states he is not an autoloader guy, and asks for the proper/SAFEST way to load for doubles.
Most teachers would likely advise loading the first shell into the action and sending the action forward, chambering the shell. Then the second shell is inserted into the magazine. For a shooter who is "not an autoloader guy" getting that round into the mag can be difficult until he becomes practiced at it. With an 1100 on the line, I've seen fumbling and bumbling and dropped shells when trying to load the mag. When the newbie Rem 1100 shooter bent over to pick up the shell several of us moved quickly away from the "no longer pointing downrange muzzle". I suspect I'm not the only one who has seen this event on a skeet range. Haven't seen it recently as the Rem 1100 seems to have been replaced by O/Us on the skeet range these days.
The fact that most autoloader shooters on a skeet field don't engage the safety first just means they are practiced and experienced shooters who have established a routine and know their gun. For those that don't, applying the safety first is the "safest" method of loading for doubles.
Even for THOSE THAT DO, applying the safety first is still the safest way loading for doubles. (IMHO).

Sidelock
Sidelock

SGJ:

I'm not that proficient but the only 37 I have is a slug gun so I probably don't feel the need. I can get the shells into the mag tube of an 870 from underneath but I have one heck of a time with the m12 so I turn it over so I can see where the lifter sits. Forgive me!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Trust me, Ian. If you really have been on a skeet field and engaged your safety before loading the chamber, you are the ONLY one in the world. We have all seen many dumb things that can be done on a skeet field. However, in about 50 years of skeet shooting, I have never seen anyone manually engage the safety before loading their gun. While you're in the full grip of terminal paranoia, why not do the same with your O/U? Next time you engage in the behavior described above listen carefully for the sound of 4 other guys snickering. Another hobby might really be better for you. JL

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, it appears I have a claim to fame and am unique in the world!!
I was taught skeet (Remington 1100)in 1975 by a pretty cool gent whom I expect has long gone to his reward. It wasn't until a number of years later I fully appreciated the "apply the safety first" technique.
I don't know if you've been swept on the line by a shooter with a loaded 1100 with the safety off - I and several others were - and we were not happy about it in the least. Your attitude might change when it happens to you.
Being in the "full grip of terminal paranoia", I can't say that I ever remember being "snickered" at by others on the line. Might be they appreciated my interest in THEIR safety.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Safety is a habit which doesn't include painting folks with muzzles in any situation with any gun. My wife and I spectated the sporting final at Vintagers/Millbrook walking the course with one or two squads of shooters who were also walking. We left the station and were at the next before the shooters had collected their scorecards and gear and moved on. So we're standing there when up walks our familiar crew and this old boy who's dressed like he owns most of what Trump used to has his doublegun closed and crooked over his left elbow. He stops even with me on line and I guess he is semi-conscientious at least about the habit of safety because when I turn slowly and give him the questioning look, he turns away and drops the barrels without removing the gun from the crook of his arm. I managed to walk two of the preliminary events with my gun broken all the time except when over the rail and pointed thru the window or sitting in a rack. When I pick it up, the barrels stay skyward while I break it. As for shells dropped on the ground, they'll still be there after the shots are taken and the chambers cleared. Even a habitual safety protocol is not failsafe; all the more reason to have one because it reduces the possibility of sad old situations!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ian, there is absolutely no difference between being "swept" by a closed shotgun that is empty, loaded, or safety on or safety off. It is all the same, and these guys are giving you the straight information. There is no need or use for a safety on the clay target field. Those who choose to manipulate their safeties are watched like hawks by their fellow shooters because they are obviously inexperienced or have been instructed by someone not familiar with clay target protocol.

Keep the barrel down range when loading and no one will complain.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.