May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (graybeardtmm3, Drew Hause, 5 invisible), 676 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,474
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drop a shell into the gun. Hit the latch to close. Shoot the single. Repeat for the second bird. Load two for doubles only. Take each shot as a seperate shot and do not miss.

Why load two shells when shooting singles? Load one and shoot one at a time.

Personally, I do not care how many you load at a time as long as you keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. A week does not go by that I do not see a shooter turning or starting to point a gun in a direction that is not down range. Many of them are well experienced shooter who know better but have become casual about things because they have shot for years and never ahd a problem. Novice shooters need a mild warning, old farts need a swift kick in the a--.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot single targets single load even with a double. I don't object to loading two, I just started doing that because it forces me to be more deliberate. Can't tell you how many times I missed the option target because I repeated the mistake! I need the brief time it takes to reload to reboot my brain.

About once a year someone will ask why I do it that way. My pace when on the station is otherwise quite fast, and even with the reload I'm almost always the fastest shooter on the squad.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

ANY firearm that can be loaded with the safety on - SHOULD BE LOADED WITH THE SAFETY ON. Think of the sad "situations" this practice can prevent.
Just prior to calling for your target or when a bird flushes, simply disengage the safety.
My $0.02 FWIW.
(FWIW in this case could be a whole bunch!!)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Except... nobody uses or is required to use a safety on a target range. It's not required for the simple and generally accepted reason that the guns are ALWAYS unloaded with the action open until just prior to calling for and shooting the target(s).

The problems only start if the gun fails to go boom, like for instance if the safety was on.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ian, the question was about procedure on the skeet field. If you engage the safety on the skeet field I'd suggest you've never shot skeet or trap. As Jones said, nobody uses the safety when shooting target games, other than maybe on a quail walk, where the shooter might be moving. As to whether you engage the safety before or after loading, in the field, the important thing is that you engage it before you move. Before or during loading, it won't fire anyway. Keeping it pointed in a safe direction at all times is the important factor. And of course, re-engage the safety before you start to move away, or as soon as it is loaded again.

The REAL question, for the one man who can "answer all our questions" is: do you let the 1100 bolt "slam" forward, unretarded, or sneak it quietly and gently closed, while holding the bolt handle. Now, that's some important stuff! JL

> Jim Legg <

GWP Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always let the bolt slam forward on my tournament Trap 1100 because by the sound and feel of it I can tell whether or not the gun needs a good cleaning. Like a dog who gets excited over the sound of car keys 'cause he knows he's going out, I now get a kick out of the sound because I know what's coming next...

Sidelock
Sidelock

He was just joshing. It's a long story.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pump or autoloader, if you were loading in the field with the plug in, you'd either chamber thru the ejection port and two in the mag tube or two in the mag tube, chamber one, and top up tube. So even with just two required for skeet, it's pretty natural to just throw the first one in the chamber.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Course you can always get a I37 and have it your way.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

. . . or BPS.

jack

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.