March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bushveld, Karl Graebner, Lloyd3, Marc Ret, dogon, KY Jon), 848 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,022
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
7 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking good Bob.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure you are happy with the wood and engraving, Bob, but I, personally, would not have chosen a piece of feather/fiddleback Claro for this gun. I know it was common for Browning to use this style of wood on graded Superposeds, but since this is a knock-off, it doesn't matter.

A piece of Circassian with rich color and lots of black streaking would have made this gun something special. Something along these lines:
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...=101333926#lg-8

Or this:
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...=101319204#lg-8

Not a fan either of the candy-apple gloss finish.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems that some folks here may be way past due for their eye exam.

The wood is nice, but the blank, and the finished stock with the super shiny bowling pin polyurethane finish, appear to be two entirely different pieces of wood. The grain and figure is very different, and it is highly unlikely that turning or carving would bring out such a change on both sides.

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Sadly the pitting still shows inside the action....

jOe, you simply must learn to stop telling the truth, if you want some of these guys to like you!

I thought this Bee guy was supposed to be a wonderful engraver. Maybe he just had a really bad week. Even without blowing up the pics, I could see numerous flaws and lack of detail. But I guess I've been spoiled by the engraving on my Lefever guns. Dan Lefever would have perhaps taken pity on this guy, and used him for simple scroll on H Grades. Then again, maybe not. Blow up the pics a little, and it only gets worse. The border around the game scenes on the action sides and bottom with those little circles is simply horrendous. There is no more charitable way to describe it. Those little circles look like they were stamped in after a night of heavy drinking. The detail on the dogs and birds is lacking, and it looks like a lot of the soulless laser cut engraving seen on modern guns.

Then there's that extensive pitting on the insides that jOe mentioned. What a pleasant surprise that would be to most of us if we bought an expensive gun, and found that hiding under the stocks. I was reminded of the saying, beauty is only skin deep. But the poor engraving and shiny polyurethane finish remind me more of a girl with way too much make-up.

Not that it matters much to Bob. There is certainly no sentimental attachment here... just another quicky upgrade to flip for profit, for a gun dealer who doesn't have an FFL. I wonder if the serial number was removed from this one like the other one we recently saw which was all but obliterated?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wasn't going to say anything about the engraving but since you brought it up...might be time for Angelo to hang up the chisel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ain't no big deal to me, but I don't think the wrist of the finished stock can be laid out on the blank in that position. Is that black walnut?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.