March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (gunmaker, Sandlapper, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 350 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,005
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#559503 12/01/19 09:29 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looked at a nice 12 bore 2E the other day-- 30" LHC stamped barrels- half mood clips at muzzles- both tubes choked IMP/Mod--
Intact stock, POW grip, DT- ejectors in time, bores mint, barrels ring like the bells of Saint Mary's-- BUT-- on the right barrel side- where to top rib meets the barrel radius- for aprox. 7", from aprox. where the top rib expansion joint (silver filled) forward to the muzzle- you can see a solder separation line- you can get the tip of a toothpick into the "groove"--

So, with my good friend Brad Bachelder gone from this earth forever-- Can any of you gents advise me as to how much of a risk I might be taking if I buy this Smith?? Note, the rib separation only shows on the top rib--bores shine like a mirror-no pits or dents in the tubes anywhere- Many thanks-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Runs, if I read your statement correctly and you stated approximately 7" from the muzzle, that top rib there should be free from solder there. I'm guessing someone re-soldered it and did not clean it up right.
The top rib extension at the breech was brazed.
Also I would have someone check the bores for honing, they should be .729-.730, especially on a gun that ended production in 1912.

David

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

NOT from the muzzle- from the breech FORWARD towards the muzzles-RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

It still would not make a difference, it sounds as if the solder was not removed and you see the solder line.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

This would be a good candidate to check for barrel ringing. But, the ejectors would have to be removed to do so properly.

https://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/search?q=barrel+ringing

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting- never realized that the ejector "luggers" should be removed before "ringing" the barrels with a wooden dowel or hammer handle. Just wondering, Stan- does this also apply to an extractor gun? I usually suspend the tubes with a bungee cord over a padded bench (in case they slip out of the bungee hook-hasn't happened yet) and tap them with the wooden dowel (7/8" dia.) up and down on each tube and listen for the "chime"-- does my method compare to the one you use? RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, ejectors or extractors. Even a cocking slide on a set of Fox barrels can change what we're looking to hear clearly, according to Dewey.

I do as Dewey suggests and hang them by the hook from a wire loop, then use a good sized wooden dowel to tap them all along their length, listening for a dullness in the resulting "ringing".

Best wishes with the 2E.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Stan. Somehow, I thought I read here, or possibly elsewhere, that Dewey was not big on L.C. Smiths-I read the article a while back in SS about a A.H. Fox he "customized"- He is, without a doubt, a master gunsmith, as was my good friend, the late Brad Bachelder-- We shall see- it is a local private sale, but until I do more research, I'm keeping my wallet intact.

You and I, and others here, have a fairly solid background in: welding, metal fabrication, machine shop and tool & die work--What is a bit puzzling to me is how a set of barrels can be soldered, but the lug and the breech area brazed, as both welding processes involve different degrees of heat input, in other wording, solder flows at a lower temp. than brazing rod. The slight crevice I spotted with a magnifier had the appearance of solder (silver-ish) and not the brass fill you would see with a brazed joint. I would welcome input from any of the well-informed gents on this forum--RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Run

Could it be silver brazed? I occasionally use 56% silver solder/braze, soldering temp is around 1200 deg F.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You might be right there, amigo. Normal soldering temps, for mild steels, run in the 650 degree F range, brazing in the 800 degree F range (cast iron, especially sand cast with cope and drag pattern CI- closer to 900 degree F-- temperatures taken at the core of a neutral or balanced flame, with oxy-acetylene-- different temp scale if you are using either MAPP or propane for your fuel gas-- The only layman styled concept of barrel joining was what I read years ago in Peter Johnson's book on the Parker Gun--RWTF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.