April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jem Finch, Mark Larson), 1,030 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,120
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fine dust is, of course, a totally different aspect than what we normally encounter in ordinary black powder. Dust is a hazard in a flour mill for instance. Rudolf Diesel's first attempts in developing his engines used finely powdered Coal Dust as a fuel source. After an explosion that almost cost him his life, he switched to low grade fuel oil which was more controllable.

Another aspect of black powder is it is not volatile, A good friend of mine came extremely close to losing his life from filling his riding lawn mower with gasoline. The mower had a plastic tank but he was pouring from a steel can & using a steel funnel. Apparently a static charge was built from the pouring & then a spark produced between the can & the funnel. Had he been pouring black powder instead of the volatile gasoline it is EXTREMELY unlikely the spark would have even hit the powder, much less ignite it. I don't mean to imply that one should not use care in handling black powder, but do feel the Warnings concerning static charge explosions have been greatly exaggerated. I do feel that Lyman's motive for the new "Black Powder measure was primarily to create a new market. I do not feel there was anything at all wrong with their old standby, the model 55.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In the 60's in Special Forces the "dust initiator" explosive was well known...a small explosive in a sack of flour in a closed space would provoke a massive explosion.
That is the problem in all factories producing dust...I toured textile factories in the mid 1970's in Pakistan where dust and consequently the threat of a catastrophic event was a major problem. So dust would seem to be the issue...not necessarily black powder. But of course...defer to the experts.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/29/19 12:25 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.