March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, Argo44, Stanton Hillis, Pat Gidley), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I need to make a loading rod for a 10 bore gun and need a 3/8" dark hardwood dowel. The internet hasn't been very helpful yet. Suggestions for sources much appreciated.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you tried Amazon ? there's about 6 pages worth. Also andy wood crafter's site will have a bunch.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Mike. I'll check them out.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've decided to splice the original rod. The extension only needs to be 3" long. However, I'll need to find a vintage tip with covered screw. It should be .375" inches in diameter. If you know of one available, please let me know.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may want to browse the hickory ramrods and cleaning tips or accessories over on the "Track Of The Wolf" muzzleloaders supplier website (click for link), I'm thinking they may have what you need.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sidelock
Sidelock

rocky mtn bill:

Try Tack of the Wolf (https://www.trackofthewolf.com/) They will have the rod and probably the jag you are looking for. Done a fair amount of business with them over the years and always been happy and their shipping is pretty quick.

A word to the wise, do NOT use hardware dowels. Although hardwood they, many times, have the grain running out the side which is fine for wood projects but not ramrods. They will typically splinter and likely end up in your hand when it happens.

Hickory is typical for ramrods, we use to soak them in fuel oil or kerosene after darkening them with some Aquafortis & a torch, or just darken with a torch or regular wood stain. Although I would suggest not splicing as it creates a weak spot in the rod which can/does take a lot of abuse, you might want to make an extension from Horn, antler or a straight grained piece of ebony...

Just some food for thought!!
Don

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WBLDon,Thanks for the warning . I'll avoid cross grain wood. My gun, though American named, is British in origin, and so I want to avoid hickory. functional as it is.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
I need to make a loading rod for a 10 bore gun and need a 3/8" dark hardwood dowel. The internet hasn't been very helpful yet. Suggestions for sources much appreciated.

A dowel rod is the last thing you want for a nice ram rod.

I'd go with straight grained Coca Bola...you'll need to purchase it in plank form specify a knot free straight grained board.
Coca Bola is fairly easy to work, more stable and cheaper than Gabon Ebony and will darken fairly quickly on its own.
Cut out several squares a little over size then work it round with the spoke shave...careful to do more scraping than cutting with the spoke shave.
As I recall the flat bladed spoke shave was easier for me to control.
I held it in the leather padded jaws of my Versa Vise and moving the piece up and down as I worked it.

In the past I made a couple of shotgun ram rods...keep in mind they have more taper than a rifle ram. I made one out of Gabon ebony the other out of straight grained Coca Bola. Both turned out really nice.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

jOe, Thanks for the suggestion. I may not need it this time around, but likely will sometime.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

So Billy, you need a dark 3/8" dowel for your shotgun?

I'd suggest saturating one of your anti-gun Democrat Barack Hussein Obama Hope and Change campaign posters with epoxy, and rolling it into a tight cylinder. Should be appropriate for a British shotgun since Kenya was a British colony.

Alternately, you might ask the excellent and talented gunsmith Bailey Bradshaw, but it appears that your rude comments about him on 10/1/19 drove him away.

So what do you think of the Barnum and Bailey and Schiff and Pelosi Impeachment Circus? Do you think you'll finally get your wish to impeach our pro-gun President? Don't worry, when you Liberal Democrats don't get it done this time, you'll have four more years to keep trying after Trump gets re-elected in 2020. What was that you said about harassing me until I die?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.