April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jtplumb, Ted Schefelbein, Joe Wood, Birdog), 604 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,483
Posts545,256
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Eley subsonic hollow points for all my vermin shooting.

If you can hit your quarry with one, it will kill it clean. A head-shot rabbit at 100 yards has a hollow head after impact. A shot in the 'engine room' will also kill stone dead. Likewise crows and pigeopns, which are not hard to kill if hit in the body, it is just that when a fether is knocked out it may look like the bird flew on after being hit when in fact there was no tissue damage at all.

A lot of pest controllers in London use this round in urban gardens to shoot foxes - ranges of up to 25 or 30 yards is the maximum likely to be encountered and it works a treat.

the hollow pont does have more stopping power than the solid slug as it delivers more energy into the body of the target rather than speeding through cleanly.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would think at about the same fps, the hollowpoint would be deadlier than the solid - even at the slow rate of a 22lr.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Squirrels and crows aren't worth the price of Tenex. That ammo is for OC guys who weigh each round and determine rim thickness. I have used Eley hvhps and sshps until I found $2/box Winnie hps shot just as well in my gun. If there is Gander Mtn. near you you might try some Lapua offerings. Fiocchi Biathlon load was also very accurate in my gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bet if he'd try some CCI Mini-Mag hollow points he might be surprised...that Kimber will kill a squirrel past 25 yards Lowell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have done all of my small game hunting with Eley Subsonic Hollowpoints for 11 years now. Beofre that I used the RWS SS HP since around '91. The Eley shot about the same as the RWS and I was using Eley in competition, so I liked to keep the same lube in the barrels of my rifles.

The Eley SS HP performs MUCH better on game than Tenex, Federal 900B, or any other solid bullet. The solids will often pass through a squirrel's brain and leave the animal alive. I hate messy kills like that and feel terrible when they happen.

As for what I would take with the round, large raccoons and foxes would be the largest animals I would attempt to take with the bullet. I have shot coyotes with a .22, but used, and reccomend, high velocity HP's for the yodel dogs.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell, you hold on to that Kimber real tight. My understanding is that they have ceased production of the rimfire rifle line.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197443

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've never understood why American hunters wouldn't invest in a handsomely accurate rimfire sporter. The seasons are long, and there's plenty of game.
Sad if true about Kimber.
...but we know the rap of the 150.00 gunshow special 22lr rimfire rifle that shoots rings around the Anschutz, Cooper and Kimber.
My Kimber SuperAmerica is my only real keeper of my lot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

More puZZling is why an American Hunter would top a Kimber off with a cheap scope.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well then handsome anyway hey!
Think those Cooper and Kimber owners/shooters were on message boards at the time of this competition?
Good point Pete!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.