Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm not an autoloader guy. On a skeet field with an 1100 what's proper/safest loading procedure for doubles?

Drop a shell into the ejection port, let the bolt go, and then load one into the mag? Something about loading the second shell with one already in the chamber seems less than perfect safety to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why's that? Just don't snag the trigger with your pinky and it won't go boom. Even if it does, it's pointed downrange and you have firm control with a your grip on the forend.

Most of us drop one in the port, then push the carrier latch in with the nose of the second shell while it's being fed into the mag.
I prefer to do this with the ejection port facing up while the gun is controlled with the left hand on the forend.

I'm not real impressed with guys who need to have the magazine facing up to load the thing, and then spin it around rightside up after it's loaded.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
ty Offline

In the field, if you load your auto to full capacity, you'll have to run a shell into the chamber before you can top off the magazine anyway. No different for pumps, either. As Mr. Jones says, if you are doing everything the right way safety-wise, there's nothing wrong with running the shell into the chamber before loading one in the mag. Make sure the safety is on if that makes you feel better...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks.
"Why's that?" I'm inexperienced.
The process of performing a loading task to a gun that's loaded isn't familiar to me. I don't do it with semi-auto pistols or rifles (chamber a round then insert the mag) but it's clearly SOP with repeating shottys, and I wanted some clarification.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guess I understood that, Yeti. My response was poorly worded and I didn't mean to be critical or sound like a smart ass at all. "Why's that?" should have read "That's normal".

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is very rare that someone uses a safety on the skeet field unless you have an auto safety.

You can close the gun, load and then pull the handle back and close it to load the shell in the mag but it is a pain.

What you are doing is safe but it does seem strange to a sxs guy. Just make sure you point it in the right direction as I am sure you already do.

I love my 20 gauge. It has proven to be reliable, trouble free and real soft on the shoulder. It handles surprisingly well and I take it hunting when I'm afraid I might mess up my doubles. I use the inexpensive 1 oz. Remingtons and it is lethal.

Enjoy it,
Milt

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shotgunjones,
No offense taken at all! I needed some advice on something that's very basic, and I do thank you. My response was so terse it looked like I was miffed, but I'm not.
A friend has a brandy new 1100, and wants me to teach him how to shoot it! (In the valley of the blind...) I read the manual last night, thought about the process, remembered seeing many folks load it that way and wondered if it's The Way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There nothing wrong with loading the chamber first. It may even be the safest way as otherwise you would have the possiblity of more shells being involved in any unintended firing accident. Just be very aware of muzzle control when you chamber that round. Automatics, which are worn or with a finger that just might have some contact with the trigger, have been known to "slam fire" as the round is chambered. I am aware of one person at our skeet range having shot very near to his feet resulting in some bounce back pellets striking another shooter. Fortunately no serious injury. I am not convinced it was the gun's fault, shooter may have had a finger in the trigger guard - but he loudly protests otherwise. (Didn't take the gun in for repair though.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, Yeti... as long as we're all on the same page. The great pitfall with this e-mail and internet stuff is that tone of voice is missing.

You might like the 1100. It's a natural pointer, and most people shoot one well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys are all so nice. I like that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.