March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Mills Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am getting into rifles a bit and keep seeing the Winchester pre 64 vs post 64. What is the basic difference? I assume it is like the Utica vs. Philly Foxes or pre 1913 LC Smiths vs post 13 Smiths? Assuming that is the case, how much did the quality drop? Thanks

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably the biggest differences are in the head of the bolt construction and the method of extraction. On a pre-64 the extractor is like the Mausers which control the cartridge all the time from pushing the cartridge up out of the box magazine into the chamber and then pulling it out after firing during the extraction/ejection cycle. The post 64 just pushes the case and then as you close the bolt a small bolt face extractor snaps over the case rim. A much weaker system and cheaper to manufacture. This basic change goes further as the bolt manufacturing is easier also so follows cheaper. The post 64 work fine but not the higher quality of the pre-64's.
Hope that helps. Buy pre-64's IMO, Its all I own for bolt guns and I have a few ranging from 30-06 thru the mag cartridges to 375 H&H. One added comment, if you are going to hunt DG the post-64's or the Remington 700, which uses the same extraction as the post-64 are NOT your best choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lynn, you fail to mention the "New CLassic M70 CRF". It ain't push feed

Member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "New Classic" will have been around for 28 years now, not so new anymore...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Mills Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the responses

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you at all familiar with the Winchester hammerless pump shotguns? If so, compare the feel, fit and finish and handling qualities of a pre-WW2 Mdel 12 in any gauge you like, field gun, with that of the POS Model 1200 Winchester pumpguns-- Most of the better finished and handling Winchesters I own (and shoot) were made prior to 1941-- look at this, if you will-- pre-war better grade walnut, rust blueing, closer tolerances, wood stood "proud" of the steel-- same analysis in your pre-vs -post 1964 Model 70's, both std grade and Super Grade, and reg. wt. and the later introduced Featherweight series M70's--

The answer regarding a Mauser BA design )M54-M-70, 1903 Springfield, Browning-Sako FN series, and others, over the Weatherby and Remington BA rifles is "Dead sure reliability in function-every time. If you and experienced hunter using BA rifles, you are well advised to cycle EVERY round of ammo for your chosen Caliber BA hunting rifle through your weapon, factory and especially handloads.

About 8-10 years ago, F&S gun editor (and mainstay old curmudgeon at large) Dave Petzal did an article on the top 50 best weapons every produced in America-- Top Pick-- The pre-1964 Winchester Model 70- hands down. That tell you anything?? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Mills Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. That is largely what I suspected. It is so sad that so many of the great American guns fell victim to cost cutting and cheap knockoffs

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Kobe
Lynn, you fail to mention the "New CLassic M70 CRF". It ain't push feed

I didn't fail anything, I was answering the question asked without any assumptions. He asked about pre and post. The "New CLassic M70 CRF" was the third variation.
Of course we could go further into details about the 3 design variations of the Pre64 but again that wasn't the question. And we could talk about the M54 which the M70 is really and improved version of. But now we are really far flung, something I was avoiding and why I only addressed the question asked, which is always a good policy. If the poster wants to learn more they can ask for more info if they desired.

Mills Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I saw a video comparing a pre-64 Model 70 to a new Alaskan model which seemed to suggest the current Alaskan model was pretty close to the same quality of old. Is that true or just probably another commercial with fake info?

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
.... Dave Petzal did an article on the top 50 best weapons every produced in America-- Top Pick-- The pre-1964 Winchester Model 70- hands down. That tell you anything?? RWTF

Couldn't agree more

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.