March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

If we don't get an answer here I will move the question over to the main forum. Several Brits post there regularly.

Dig Hadoke told me 11 years ago that the one guy to go to for correct "British colours" is Ray St. Ledger.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, he is, and I should have used the past tense. Last I heard his son Richard was carrying on the business. Hopefully he learned a lot from his father.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Before the time I realised that working on gun stocks was more a thing I was suited to I did try colour case hardening. After a number of tries things went well, then a cracked receiver made me rethink things along the lines of this is not for you. Though I am one of those people who will research a subject as far as I can before I start and a long time after the initial idea has physically been superseded buy something else more interesting. also I am a compulsive note maker not to mention a working diary.
Now if there are secrets to colour hardening I dont know of any but there are a few not so talked about things that go to making a repeatable signature look to the finished work, with her emphasis on repeatable. But the not so good part is that you have to experiment to get your signature finished look.
I used 6" X 4" X 1/4" mild steel plate for experimentation. Now the carbon packing we all know is charcoal and bone carbon but that is just a common mix you can purchase. But like an artist there are other things you can add to the basic mix that does alter the final look of the case hardened metal. Here are some that can be added, carbonised Leather, powdered anthracite, In times past carbonised Ivory turnings, Carbonised hoof and horn. and one I found added some lighter colours, carbonised blood fish and bone garden fertiliser, though it does give off some not so nice smells when heating to carbonise it.
The quenching water, Rainwater is best because it has no minerals to complicate things or change the finished colours. At the point before you drop in the hot metal stir the water violently or better still have air blowing through the water to churn it. And finally it was said that adding Salt Peter (Potassium Nitrate) to the water would brighten the finished colours.
I hope this may be of interest though it is all experimentation for quantities, one thing I omitted was making your own charcoal from the same wood every time removes another variation that could make things non repeatable.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, damascus. Some interesting insights to the art. That repeatability is what I thought I have noticed in most English maker's case-colors. Even though each may have/had their own "secrets", there may have been much more uniformity to the trade in England than over here.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve been doing the CCH thing for a few years, (close to 20). Anytime I hear about using leather or horn/hoofs in the CCH mix, I chuckle and move on. I don’t think any serious practitioner of CCH, or any manufacturer would use those sorts of products in their CCH.

Hooves and horns are made up of Keratin, the same thing hair is made up of, leather is primarily Collagen and Elastin, neither is a good case hardening compound.

There’s several different ways to tan leather, chromium salts, vegetable tanning, brain tanned, each one has different chemicals which will change the outcome.

Horn/hooves? Just the sheer amount of crap that’s in them … rocks, nails, dirt…and literal crap that makes them a bad choice

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Hunter you seem to want to bring age into things but I see you are a beginner, I have been clicking guns and working on them for some seventy years possibly before your good self was a twinkle in your mothers eye, though they do say you can get young fools as well as old ones. Horne Leather and hoof are all carbon based as is life on this little ole Planet, as is hair and your good self for that matter and can all be carburised (turned to carbon). Lets see what you make of sugar? I feel that investments in some good books on organic chemistry would not come amiss.
You are to quick with the word Crap, I would like to use the words you are talking as Verbal Diarrhoea? Just so you know there is more than one way to skin a cat, because you reside on the other side of the pond does not make you all knowledgeable in fact far from it, and why you need to use derogatory terms when the English language has a fine Latin based words to describe any item or situation. From what you have said I have a good idea where you use the rocks nails and crap is it to tan your leather. I feel that you should read what I have written! Not what you think I have written!

Kind Regards

Damascus

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve been doing case hardening “Commercially” for the past 20 years, sorry if I did not articulate that well enough.

When I decided to offer CCH as a shop service, I spent about a year figuring it out. I would take mild steel blanks (SAE 1018), grind them on the surface grinder to ensure that they were flat (+/- .0001) then case harden them adjusting the variables one at a time: Hardening temp, time, wood bone ratios, quench tank size, O2 levels, drop distance, quench water temp etc.…

I did quite a few drops, as many as 3 a day. After each quench I would check for colors, hardness and warpage.

I also tried some of the secret recipes:

Hoof material: I have a small horse ranch, so I’m somewhat familiar with hooves as I have to clean them and trim them quite often. The sheer amount of garbage that gets imbedded into the hoofs: rocks, nails, dirt manure etc.… they are nasty, and no good way to clean them. They are also made out of keratin, same as hair and fingernails.

Leather char… what an abomination: I once made some specialized tooling for a custom saddle maker, as payment I asked for some scrap leather, I ended up with two 55 gallon drums full of heavy, saddle grade leather.

There ae several ways to tan leather, Chromium, tannic acid, etc.… All add chemicals to the leather. Or you can opt for untanned rawhide (think dog chew toy).

To make a short story long, I decided to char some leather; I took a tightly packed shoe box sized amount and put it in a crucible and cranked it up to 1600 F. That’s a day that will be etched in my mind forever… The smell and smoke was horrendous, think that burning hair smell on a massive scale. Adding insult to injury, leather doesn’t carbonize in the normal sense but rather melts. What I found in my container, was not powder or leather that could be crumbled, but a substance that resembled hardened lava that stuck to the interior of the crucible. Once I chipped the majority of the charred leather out, I had to sandblast the remainder out. So, for a shoebox sized amount, I ended up with about ľ cup of leather char.

In the end, I did try the leather char, the result… No better or different than standard bone charcoal.

Hooves/Horns (cow/horse) too dirty, and made of keratin.

Ivory, too expensive and made out of tooth material… very sililar to bone.

Powdered Anthracite: simple coal dust.

Leather… have fun with that smile

Respectfully

Mike

Last edited by Mike Hunter; 11/05/19 10:54 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.