April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marplot, Drew Hause, Hal M Hare, DaveB, coosa, PALUNC), 1,199 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,842
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was also hoping we'd get to see a pic of the take-down hardware. Thanks for that.

I like your ideas for making some cosmetic changes to this gun. But there are a couple things I'd suggest considering. The barrel looks, to my eye, to be too short and slim for the forearm, and the grip needs to be more open than your rough draft illustrates. Instead of just shortening the forearm and installing an ebony tip, I think this would be a good place to consider a Mannlicher type carbine configuration. The forearm wood is fairly plain, so it wouldn't be too difficult to find a stick of walnut with matching grain and color. Just a thought.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Mannlicher style stock could definitely work.

When I saw the first pictures, I had the thought that a slimmed and shortened British sporting rifle style forearm might be able to change proportions in a pleasing way. If mocked up and planned, there also seems to be plenty of meat on that take down connection for a little contouring of the metal, not just stock wood.

Mine too is just a thought. If the price made it interesting, I'm pretty sure I would have stopped and looked that thing over if I bumped into it. Thanks for showing it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate the suggestions and the feedback. I agree about forearm length and may even fit a short barrel extension purely for cosmetic purposes. I do not understand what is meant by more open grip, but I know the current grip curved too far forward and I will be shifting the grip cap rearward.
I am open to anything except a mannlicher stock of which I have never seen a pleasing one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Neat! Begs the question: if QD scope mount, what iron sights?

Would Talley QD mounts work?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with craigd about re-contouring the takedown connection metal, which could result in a more pleasing forearm. At the same time, lightening cuts(hidden) could be helpful.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Talley is a nice high end option, I like the vintage of the Williams pieces and if I can make sure I am comfortable with the 2 mounting screw connection, I will try to use them.
I agree with a possible lower profile recontour and certainly have the resources and ability. I also considered some weight reduction there, though current weight and balance is not unruly.

Last edited by Marks_21; 11/07/19 02:22 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.