May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, Jimmy W, azgreg, Themauserkid, 1 invisible), 240 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,028
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I noticed in Arkansas around Stuttgart that every couple of miles or so there was another "minnow farm". That area must be the tuffy minnow capital of the world. I wouldn't be surprised if the ringnecks out there had been seduced into the easy life of raiding commercial minnow ponds...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It wouldn't be easy for me to rank diver duck when it comes to table fare, but I always like the way Scaup can swing past decoys at warp speed. I haven't shot a Ringneck for quite a while, but I can clearly recall it was quite a bit tougher to get the breasts out of them than regular.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ringnecks may feed on different things in different regions, but around here they hang around in fishponds where they dive in the deep water for a few seconds feeding. There is no vegetation on the bottom in 10-12 feet of black water, where the sunlight cannot reach anywhere near the bottom. When you retrieve them they smell of fish. Their flesh smells of fish.

They may indeed feed on a high percentage of vegetation in some areas, but I've observed and shot them for over 40 years here, and if you want to eat a duck that smells strongly like fish, you're welcome to do so. Some do not mind it, or I wouldn't have eager takers, but I do.

I be a long ways away from any shrimp they could feed on.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can easily smell the shrimp when they are eating them. Many are sometimes found live in the feathers, and they come in on the decoy anchors that snag underwater plants. Never any shrimp taste to the skin or flesh after baking out the fat. I'd guess the ducks are grubbing the bottom for invertebrates. You should shoot a few and check. Like scaup, canvasbacks, and redheads, they just don't have the bill structure for grasping fish.

I grabbed my double 12 and scouted for four hours in the rain this PM. Only the wheat has been harvested; the remaining 90% is corn and beans, with hundreds of acres in snow and in standing water. Many roads closed. Water everywhere and rising. Saw very few ducks, but that is understandable as the bird stay undisturbed in flooded beans all day. Felt sorry for my GWP Gus,who wants to hunt so bad!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience with ringnecks on the table was that that they were fine. This was mostly ducks killed on a 110 acre reservoir in middle Georgia and on small ponds here in coastal Georgia. Freshwater Wigeon, Gadwall, Blacks and Mallards were fine dining as well, but the same couldn't be said about ones found in saltwater. The aroma of cleaning saltwater puddlers smelled like an overripe landfill. A friend who lived in Miami decades ago told me that the Everglades woodies he killed were full of snails which adversely affected their taste. You are what you eat. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: [censored]

You guys ever think of talking on the phone ?

I sure wish you had thought of that back when yOu and Amarillo Mike were looping your insults for page after page. Just saying...Geo

Amarillo Mike was tossing insults I was just along for the ride.

Again you weren't paying close attention George....read my signature line below real slOw if you need to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hal
I'd guess the ducks are grubbing the bottom for invertebrates.

I know they are divers, but didn't think they would go down 10-12 ft. to get to the bottom. Next opportunity I have to shoot some, that smell fishy, I will check to see what they're eating.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Returning from ducks in the South to the Great White North: Woodcock are still hanging around. Examination of yesterday's bag showed very little fat on the birds. They don't appear to be flight birds. Look like locals that haven't yet started to fuel up for the migration. Rain and wind today; more rain tomorrow. One day with wind out of the north. Will be interesting to see if that gets them moving. Hoping that it won't . . . or that it will bring birds from up North down this way. Once Tuesday's rain is out of the picture, looks like several days' worth of good hunting weather.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

One tell we have on doodle flight birds is the breast bone is more noticeable in the hand due to muscle shrinkage. They've flow further than flight birds found in the north where it might not be more pronounced. Gil

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Old Squaws can dive well over 400 ft., but the other deep divers like ring-necks and lesser scaup (bluebills) only dive to about 40 ft because they don't use their wings underwater like the Squaws do.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.