April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (barrel browner, ClapperZapper, AaronN, Fudd, FallCreekFan, 1 invisible), 433 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,204
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#556721 10/12/19 06:02 PM
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi All;
I am putting up 4 old (ca 1983) black & white pictures of my W & C Scott & Son bar in wood pinfire 12 gauge. Mr John A Crawford identified this as being of A quality & built on Matthew's patent, likely between 1863/65. Two things he found of interest were that;
#1 it was the only Scott gun he had ever had reference to made on Matthew's patent. #2 it was the only Scott gun he had ever encountered which did not have a serial number.

Its Damascus barrels are 29 3/4" long, both Cylinder bored. I do not have its weight recorded. Top of the rib is marked Made for Benjamin D Kennedy, Louisville KY. Neither Birth nor Death certificates could be fond for Mr Kennedy in Louisville, but he did have a business license to operate a jewelry store for some length of time, which included the dates this gun was built.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun Miller.
Do you use it?

Matt
aka Iowa_303
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting this. A very interesting gun.

2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No, I have never shot it. I kept thinking I would make up a few pinfire hulls to load & take it out, but never got it done. But Hey, I've only had it around 40 years, Some things just don't need to be Rushed, LOL. Maybe someday. I was extremely Grateful to Mr Crawford for providing me with the info he did on it. He also sent me a little 44-page paperback booklet on the history of Scott, interesting reading.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,

Thx for sharing this, an interesting gun indeed. I too have not seen a Scott without a serial number.

The book Crawford [and Watley] wrote was a 1st edition judging by the number of pages you referenced. The 2nd has 92, and is hard bound. Hard to believe only on book was ever written on Scott, given their incredible history and importance to firearms development.

NDG

2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nudge;
I bought this gun at a show in Nashville TN, way back when the TN Gun Collector's Assoc put on a decent show. I acquired it from a collector who was from Louisville. He had attempted to look up records on Mr Kennedy but all he was able to find was the Business License to operate a Jewelry store in Louisville.

A few ye3ars later a notice was put out in the American Rifleman that Mr Crawford would like to hear from anyone who owned an old W&C Scott gun & he would do basic research on it for free. As I recall he requested pictures in B&W, so I took these & sent them to him along with a written description.

He sent me back a two-page letter on it & seemed to be quite enthralled with my gun. He also sent along the complimentary paper-back Autographed booklet. I do not know if the slightly larger hard-back addition was already in print or not. I believe I have seen that it has a serial number chart in it. This would not have helped me with my gun though. This booklet is given as being written by John A Crawford & Patrick G Whatley & published by the W&C ScottInformation Service of Corvallis Oregon & has the 1983 date as does Mr Crawford's letter, so I know for sure when this info was received.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

The first edition of Crawford’s book, “W. & C.Scott Gunmakers” was first published in 1982 and a second edition in 1985, reprinted in 1991. It sounds to me you have the original 1982 edition because in the preface of the second edition Crawford speaks of a greatly expanded book. Holland & Holland commissioned the book, having purchased the Scott business in 1985.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes Joe, those dates jibe with what's printed inside the cover of my copies, both of which are the 1991 2nd edition reprints published in the U.K.

Its a fine book, complete with serial number DOM estimates. I recall even Boothroyd referenced the book.

NDG

2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe & Nudge;
Thanks for the catalog info. Obviously, as I received mine in 1983 I would have the 1982 edition.
the foreword is written by Patrick G Whatley & dated 1982 but the book itself carries a 1983 date. I presume this would have been the actual printing date & not an edition date.

Mr Whatley was listed as Managing Director of W&C Scott at the time. It would appear that Mr Crawforrd was never an employee of Scott but was a very dedicated collector of their guns & did much research on them. Mr Whatley in his foreword gives him the credit for most of the work done in providing the info on the company history for the book.

Miller/TN
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

W W Greener in "The Gun & Its Development" mentioned that Matthews was the first to use a side swinging top lever, but stated it was rather crude. He indicated it preceded 1860, though Mr Crawford gives its patent date as 1863. Some could well have been made prior to the patent being issued. He does not state on what gun it was first used.

I do not see it as being overly strong, though on the Scott workmanship is far from being "Crude". It is a center pivot lever as opposed to the side pivot of the early Westley Richards guns. It does not have the vertical spindle as does the Scott Spindle which was patented in 1865.

Miller/TN

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.