March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's usually the other way round: pre-1917 most Russian makers such as Matska, Maslov and Alyoshkin sourced their guns, at least partly (Kilby barrels) in Britain.

But here is something completely different: a pair of MTs-7 over/unders made in 1979-1980 and sold in Britain as a pair by Arthur Turner Sheffield. Apparently, whoever ran Arthur Turner tried to do the same trick as some modern British firms who sell guns made in Italy and Spain under their own name.

I believe they were not made to order, but bought out of dealer's inventory. TsKIB SOO guns were exported to Great Britain, but they did not sell too well. Their quality was well above their price tag - an obvious business opportunity. Wonder why it didn't catch up.

More on the guns here https://sportingbookworm.wordpress.com/2...-pair-of-mts-7/

Last edited by Humpty Dumpty; 10/04/19 02:36 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty
TsKIB SOO guns were exported to Great Britain, but they did not sell too well. Their quality was well above their price tag - an obvious business opportunity. Wonder why it didn't catch up.

More on the guns here https://sportingbookworm.wordpress.com/2...-pair-of-mts-7/

It is much the same with Merkels in the UK, especially the higher grade models like 303E. They used to be imported by Parker Hale who had a big market presence with their other (Spanish) imports.
Although a high grade gun, well made, respected by gunmakers and competitively priced, Merkels don't sell well, and have very low values on the used market.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JohnfromUK
Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty

It is much the same with Merkels in the UK, especially the higher grade models like 303E. They used to be imported by Parker Hale who had a big market presence with their other (Spanish) imports.
Although a high grade gun, well made, respected by gunmakers and competitively priced, Merkels don't sell well, and have very low values on the used market.

I wish that were true of higher grade Merkels here in the U.S. They seem to reside in the high four figure, low five figure range as used guns. Too rich for my blood, sadly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That case is extremely perplexing if not strange, it looks as though it was made for a pair of guns about twenty percent larger. It gives the impression that it is fitted. The action straps are obviously in the wrong position and even with the blocks added to improve the fit I am sure the actions would rattle about like house bricks in a bucket. Also anchor straps for barrels now that is novel. Though I do see what may be a couple of sachets of Silica gel in the case.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

My guess is that the case is a recent addition. It looks unmarked and if Arthur Turners went to the trouble of putting their name on the rib (in a very bold and rather unusual way), I'm sure they would at least have put a trade label in the case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't see where these fine guns are offered for sale. Is it normal for the stocks to be sawed off at the 12 1/2 inch level before selling them? Are the barrels also sawed off a similar amount? More information is needed before checks are written and mailed.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The guns are not for sale. The current owner feels extremely privileged to possess these fine weapons, and to have acquired them for what he believes to be ridiculously low price. The original case was lost, and this one is new - I am not sure whether it was added by the owner or by the dealer who sold it to him. He had the stock extensions added and the stocks fitted to fit him, and plans on passing the pair to his children and grandchildren.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. though I feel I would like to add a few other observations to my last post. Those stock extensions are dreadful because the grain does not continue at the same angle as the stock grain and there is no excuse for that, just poor craftsmanship. If he has to keep them as is, may be have a couple of silvers pads fitted reducing those stock extensions length plus having the remaining extension wood coloured to blend in a little better. Though me being old and cantankerous I would return with the gun point out the short comings and want that remedial work done for a very low cost. I just cant get that case out of my mind, I am sure it would pay to have a decent refit done to fit the guns properly, also no real need for four snap cap positions two would be quite adequate plus some provision for a set of cleaning rods. Maybe reduce the Arthur Turner lettering size adjusted to half or less, well Arthur Turner is only a provincial gun retailers shop in Sheffield. Just my thoughts about making this pair of guns worthy of passing to future generations.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can recall going into Turner's gun shop in the 70's. They are still in business but have moved and I believe now only deal from a private address. https://b99.co.uk/gunsmith/sheffield/arthur-turner-gunmakers/ He may have some records of guns from this period but I do know that Mr. Hitler's bully boys dropped something nasty on the shop and older records were lost. Lagopus…..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those stocks look like a grain painting project in the making to me...Geo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.